Halo Vs Mass Effect

Halo Vs Mass Effect

Here we have a clash of two Sci-Fi franchises looking for bragging rights. I don’t know enough about the Mass Effect universe to give a fair estimation on who would win, so I’ll leave it to the good hands of the BankGambling readers.

Who wins?

6,623 Comments on "Halo Vs Mass Effect"

1. erickyboo July 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm -      #6501

halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html

New page! Look at the size of halo things…

2. Ranger Lowk July 2, 2014 at 9:42 pm -      #6502

And here we see how good ME is going to possibly look maybe
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1FN2_–EM
    Also roaring Krogan.

Man I hate waiting for new info. At least halo gave me nice trailers.

3. erickyboo July 3, 2014 at 2:32 am -      #6503

That looks interesting.

Facts I need your help! I want 343i to be more aware of the whole feats. Joules, tons of TNT, all of that. Shielding, weapons, ranges, speed. Basically I want 343i to understand and go on with the numbers and feats. I want to give the info to the guy who made that scale chart so he can give it to his contacts at 343i. If it works, we might get better numbers. So… I require your help Facts!

4. MasterchiefQr July 3, 2014 at 6:00 am -      #6504

How exactly do you suppose we do that? Great idea though.

5. MasterchiefQr July 3, 2014 at 6:12 am -      #6505

Actually now that i think about it i could try and do that one way or another. Um are Precursors involved?

6. erickyboo July 6, 2014 at 1:12 am -      #6506

I don’t think precursors would be mentioned too much for this.

I suppose post Herr or somewhere all the calcs we’ve come with? I’ve been busy I think so, didn’t have much time to start.

Scale chart updated. Look at how huge Trevelyan is. halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html

7. MasterchiefQr July 7, 2014 at 9:26 am -      #6507

Year but what the star roads there huge. Oh yer i have a calc for Prehistoric Humans weapons heat output but i’ll need to post that later. Also check out the halopedia For precursors.

I think they may be a match for Xeelee or the Culture. But just my opinion no need to take note.

8. MasterchiefQr July 7, 2014 at 9:39 am -      #6508

How big is the greater ark or dose no one know?

9. MasterchiefQr July 10, 2014 at 5:57 am -      #6509

Trevelyan is huge but what made it the greater ark? Also are their more that huge.

10. Virgil July 13, 2014 at 6:16 pm -      #6510

@Erickyboo

Are you in contact with 343i? There must be some way of letting them know that ensuring the Halo universe is uniform and realistic is rather important.

11. WorthNEO July 13, 2014 at 6:43 pm -      #6511

@Virgil, a “realistic ” Halo would require retconning almost the entire franchise.

For one, the UNSC is hilariously incompetent and underadvanced. Their infantry forces can be beat by modern armies.

The Spartan program is stupid. There are dozens of other, cheaper, more efficient, and more ethical ways of combating an insurrection.

The NOVA bomb breaks physics hilariously. It doesn’t even consider the concept of mass-energy equivalence. The bomb’s implied energy would make it far larger than any ship the Covenant have, but somehow it can be carried INSIDE covenant ships.

UNSC AIs use more energy than is in the Milky Way galaxy.

12. Virgil July 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm -      #6512

@WorthNEO

A “realistic ” Halo would require retconning almost the entire franchise.

I would appreciate this comment more if it wasn’t antagonistic and actually pertained to what I was implying.

Realism, as in most sci-fi series is not necessarily keeping to defined rules governed by the world around us but the rules set by those who created it. The history and laws that govern are ones they set in place, even if they defy physics, what we perceive as “realistic”, etc.

Not to say that sci-fi universes (Halo in particular) aren’t governed by many of these laws but at the end of the day it’s just that, a fictional universe with a great probability of errors.

What you have is your opinion which you are entitled to but bashing Halo isn’t the goal of this debate thread.

13. Ranger Lowk July 13, 2014 at 9:01 pm -      #6513

UNCS should’ve had more places working on the mark 1 HRUNTING/YGGDRASIL Mark I.

14. WorthNEO July 13, 2014 at 9:18 pm -      #6514

@Virgil, It’s not an opinion. It’s what realism would entail.

And, by your definition, Halo is as realistic as it can be.

Please, let’s not argue on semantics..

There is no “halo bashing” going on. This is only me, a avid Halo fan, recognizing the scientific flaws of the universe.

15. Virgil July 13, 2014 at 10:27 pm -      #6515

@WorthNEO

But only really realistic according to the views of it’s creators and the rules they’ve put in place. Relativity and perspective is indeed rather annoying to debate :P

I would agree with your conclusion but I again state that that isn’t the purpose of this thread… My comment was directed at Erickyboo and his attempt to work out a system for getting exact calculations worked out. Calling Halo unrealistic in a thread where such things have been stated many times over doesn’t contribute to the debate.

It’s obviously your choice on what to say, that’s just my own opinion.

16. OberHerr July 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm -      #6516

@Ranger Lowk
    Which is why so many people hate legends…

@WorthNEO
    If your just gonna come here and repeat ad nauseam the obvious flaws in logic and physics that Halo has, fine. But don’t get all defensive when people call you out for what your doing, which is bashing a franchise. I mean, hell, I could go to almost every single damn thread on this website I bet and call out a universe or character in it for being unrealistic. For giving a big fuck you to physics. Or for making irrational decisions? Wanna know why no one does that? Because its fiction.

17. WorthNEO July 14, 2014 at 12:31 am -      #6517

@Virgil
    I’m sorry, is asking someone whether or not they have contacts at 343i more contributing to the topic than me pointing out the flaws in Halo?

All of this isn’t contributing in any matter, anyways…

@OberHerr
    I’ll get defensive when people call me out on something I’m not doing. Is acknowledging the flaws bashing?

Now, back on topic, I don’t really see Mass Effect winning here. If we are going with the most current version of both universes, Citadel forces are terribly weakened and there is no Mass Effect relay.

Post-war, the UNSC is coming on as a galactic powerhouse. They have FTL similar to the Covenant, and their old ships are being scrapped on favour of the newer, shielded ships.

But the UNSC isn’t Halo’s edge against ME.

The Covenant are what really proves a problem for Mass Effect. Be it the Remnant or the Empire, the Covenant undeniably use DEWs, lasers, particle-beams, and plasma. These will mean hell for Mass Effect as kinetic barriers do not provide any protection whatsoever against DEWs.

Against the UNSC, ME has the edge on the ground. If I’m not mistaken, the average grunt in ME is deployed with KBs, which would render UNSC small arms useless. Unless the UNSC deploys Spartans to every ground engagement, they’re going to lose a considerable amount of battles.

The Covenant, on the other hand, have the edge on land and in space.

18. erickyboo July 14, 2014 at 12:37 am -      #6518

I do have friends who’ve worked on halo… 343i/megabloks. But that’s not the vector. However if you ever see a warthog set with a blue/gold prefect Spartan, Lightrifle Boltshot Autosentry and a (green?) recon Spartan, I might be the blue one. Heheheheheheheheheheh

But I want to have Stephen Loftus help out, www.halopedia.org/Stephen_Loftus
    He’s helped out 343i and it’s a project I recommended to him, but since it’s not exactly his area of expertise, I think some more, expert at the subject people should do the calcs. What better place than BankGambling?

Also there is Catalog, maybe it would take notice. Catalog has answered many queries. We now know that covenant ship’s hull is made out of nanolaminate plating.

Basically, gather up calcs we can do ourselves, even the ridiculous ones like the brute spikers, get some quotes, show some real life stuff maybe to compare. I’ve been a bit busy but hopefully I’ll be able to start soon.

343i has given slightly better ammo but we need more stuff. Also, keep in mind halo has ONI REAP-X.

AND WELCOME back Gek.

19. WorthNEO July 14, 2014 at 12:52 am -      #6519

@erickyboo,

In my personal opinion, I think the guys over on spacebattles would be better with the calculations. Anyways, all of the calculations are just basic physics. Most of the weapon calcs can be found with
    KE = 0.5 * m * v^2

We just need more specific quotes…

Actually, instead of getting people to put together calculations, why not just get 343i to release a list of Canon calculations? That way, we Halo fanboys can finally say with absolute certainty that the carbine’s power is just shy of Barrett .50, the Spiker isn’t less powerful than a camera flash, and that Covenant capital ships produce 6.45 teratons per second with their energy projectors.

20. erickyboo July 14, 2014 at 1:08 am -      #6520

I think I’m usually nice but… go away.

21. WorthNEO July 14, 2014 at 1:24 am -      #6521

I’m usually indifferent but… Eh, I still am.

It’s a free internet, mate. You get to dictate what I do :P

22. TheSorrow July 14, 2014 at 1:28 am -      #6522

WorthNEO bare and mind, all your criticisms of Halo fall flat on it’s face, when you are reminded that it’s an entirely fictional universe. At least the criticisms that claims Halo is unrealistic.

23. OriginalA July 14, 2014 at 1:39 am -      #6523

WorthNEO said: “The Covenant, on the other hand, have the edge on land and in space.”

I’m not going to touch you comment about space, but the Covenant most certainly do not hold and advantage on land. Well, sure, they will relative to the UNSC, but ME cannon fodder and all using railguns that put the common UNSC AR55 to absolute shame. Since those ARs can and will take down Covenant with only some trouble, the railguns that ME issues to their common grunts, mercenaries, bounty hunters, thugs, street gangs, and in one specific case a cosplayer, Covenant shielding and armor will be torn to shreds. And the Geth do use plasma weapons and the Collectors used particle cannons, so infantry DEWs aren’t exactly unheard of nor an instant win condition.

Additionally, ME armor pieces are designed to take that kind of abuse into account. So even without KB shields the armored infantry will still be decently protected (not up to their usual standard, sure, but not defenseless either).

Finally, Biotics. All the armor in the world isn’t going to help the Covenant ground troops when the ME special force units can shred them on the atomic level using only their minds (singularities are a bitch), or accelerate anything short of a Hunter to at least 2 g’s of sudden directed acceleration (acceleration goes up the smaller the target; 2 g’s would be with an exceptionally large Brute as a target) without the target’s consent every 3 seconds.

When I’m given the choice between the army that got held back by a technologically inferior race (yeah, the UNSC actually held their own against the Covenant pretty well on the ground; it was the space battles that they lost at nearly every turn) vs technological equals (cause ME guns are what the UNSC wants to and should be using) that also have space magic… I’m going to side with the guys that have space magic and tech on par with their enemies.

24. WorthNEO July 14, 2014 at 1:40 am -      #6524

*”Bear in mind…”; unless you were insulting me.

The criticisms, or acknowledgment of physical deviations, rather, are merely in response to Virgil’s wish for a realistic Halo, which, on my part, was merely misunderstood semantics.

25. TheSorrow July 14, 2014 at 1:46 am -      #6525

unless you were insulting me.

Not sure how that could be interpreted as an insult.

26. WorthNEO July 14, 2014 at 1:54 am -      #6526

@OriginalA
    I think you’re forgetting that Covenant plasma can blow off limbs. The plasma pistol can even fry th e head of an armoured Elite or Spartan.

Let’s not talk about the UNSC on the ground… They might lose an entire tank column to Liara, alone.

Geth plasma is how we know that Covenant plasma would ignore KBs.

I’m pretty skeptical about ME infantry armor taking triple-digital kilojoules.

All the biotics in the world won’t help, not much anyways, when you’re being drowned in grunts, or the planet is being glasses.

Soldier-for-soldier, ME definitely has the edge.

The Covenant are hilariously arrogant and tactically incompetent. I’m certain that if we took anyone from this website and put them at the head of Covenant Empire, the UNSC would only last as long as it took Covenant ships to reach each planet.

If the UNSC was as advanced as it SHOULD be, it would have laughed as the Covenant Arnada bore down on it, and sent in a platoon of ckaytronic drones and bioenhanced soldiers to mop up whatever the Covenant threw down.

ME tech is not on par with the Covenant. Remember, we’re talking about guys Wight reactionless engines, 900+ ly/day FTL, and a capital city larger than both Death Stars

@TheSorrow “Bare in mind.” You do know what the word “bare” means, right?

27. TheSorrow July 14, 2014 at 1:57 am -      #6527

You do know what the word “bare” means, right?

Exposed, or empty. A joke that subtle would be lost on most people, so I wouldn’t bother saying it. It was a simple typo, nothing more.

28. Virgil July 14, 2014 at 2:01 am -      #6528

@Erickyboo

AND WELCOME back Gek.

Danke, glad to be back!

29. Messmaker July 14, 2014 at 2:23 am -      #6529

ME weapons fire chunks of metal at about 1-2% of lightspeed. no matter what you hit with them Is going to be hurt, regardless of what it’s made of. Or the giant gun the Normandy gets in me2, the one than fires a beam of molten metal? By me3 , this weapon is a standard anti material weapon. I’d rather be hit by covie plasma than that thing.

30. Ranger Lowk July 14, 2014 at 2:28 am -      #6530

“I think you’re forgetting that Covenant plasma can blow off limbs.”

So can ME’s weaponry. And the armor is at least capable of providing some protection from that. Plus they are made with material with heat resistance in mind.
    “Geth plasma is how we know that Covenant plasma would ignore KBs.”

But it differs in how it would effect the armor. Geth Plamsa weaponry still contains a projectile in addition to the heat and electrical charge.

31. OriginalA July 14, 2014 at 3:28 am -      #6531

“IIRC, Spartan shields can tank 50 mm autocannons, and Covenant shielding is stronger than UNSC shielding.”

Yeah, and whole “smattering”, and that will drop their shields. I tend to get the impression that a “smattering” is about 4 to 5 hits in quick succession. Meanwhile, at their best, KBs can block multiple missiles and recharge even faster than the Spartan shield’s can.

Additionally, we know that those same personal shields can be dropped by a bunch of rather pathetic bullets because that is what the UNSC uses and they consistently successfully kill shielded targets. Plus, if Covenant shields could sustain fire from 7.62 mm then, well, the UNSC would not be able to kill Elites… like, ever. Yet they do… rather consistently. And by your own claim, Covenant shields are more powerful than Spartan shields, which would put that smattering of 50 mm shells as an outliner. Besides, you can’t even tell me how much energy that is. I can tell you that 210 kJs will kill a fully shielded Elite dead. (energy equivalent of 60 7.62mm rounds)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySu3bRudAjc

This cutscene actually shows that 210 kJs is actually overkill by a considerable margine because they were able to drop his shields will much less than 60 bullets. They don’t appear to get any more than maybe 15 hits on that first elite before his shields drop. That’s less than 60 kJs to drop the shields. ME rifles have feats that put their assault rifles on par with 50 cal rifles. 50 cal bullets carry 15kJs. It would take all of 4 bullets from a fully automatic weapon to strip an Elite of its shields. We know from Halo:The Flood that an unshielded Elite cannot survive a 50 cal bullet to the head without shields; their armor cannot survive that kind of impact. So I don’t see how having to hit a single target with 5-8 bullets is going to be a serious obstacle that cannot be overcome with pure firepower.

Additionally, Spartans aren’t so well armored as to be tanks compared to Elites. In almost all aspects Spartans are nearly equal to Elites in almost every respect with only minor deviations in terms of strength, speed, endurance, as well as armor and shielding. That would put the Spartans as vulnerable targets that also could be potentially killed with less than 10 bullets on target.

And let’s just point out the elephant in the room anyways. Almost every combatant in ME has either armor, KBs, biotically created gravitic defenses, or some merger of any or all of the above. The vast majority of combatants from Halo do not posses energy shielding. Many do not even have proper armor in large quantities. The end result is that, man for man, ME forces will be better equipped with firepower and defenses. Even the average human marine from the Systems Alliance is already genetically modified to preform beyond the baseline human, so that puts those troops well above any UNSC fielded unit that doesn’t carry the title of Spartan, and those same SA marines are considered to be only kinda nominal troops. Their aren’t the Asari Commandos that can positively wreck shit, like the five Asari Commandos that were able to rack up a kill count of over 100 mercenaries in nine days from the Blood Pack (Krogans and Vorcha; both are races known for being able to survive things that will kill a human several times over).

32. Epicazeroth July 14, 2014 at 9:14 am -      #6532

Wait, is this being revived?
    @WorthNEO: “I think you’re forgetting that Covenant plasma can blow off limbs.”
    And? A lot of guns can blow off limbs. I think you’re forgetting that ME has portable particle accelerators, particle beams, and freaking Black Hole guns.

“Geth plasma is how we know that Covenant plasma would ignore KBs.”
    1) Plasma has a physical form, doesn’t it? Unless it moves hilariously slow in-universe, it would be blocked. It would be more effective against ME Shields or Barriers, but it wouldn’t completely ignore them.
    2) I’m pretty sure Mass Effect Fields block Geth plasma weaponry, even if they don’t block it as well as they would a bullet.
    @Messmaker: “Or the giant gun the Normandy gets in me2, the one than fires a beam of molten metal? By me3 , this weapon is a standard anti material weapon.”
    I thought the Thanix cannon is just a ship weapon. And don’t only SA and Turian ships use it regularly, along with some of the Salarian’s more advanced ships? Though, the Geth Javelin is a portable version of the Thanix, essentially, so they definitely have the ability to develop and produce weapons of that type.
    I don’t really want to go on an extensive search if I don’t have to, so I’ll just ask here. Mostly out of curiosity, does anyone know around how strong Shepard is, and how strong Krogan are?

33. IamTaco July 14, 2014 at 10:17 am -      #6533

Just to show how outclassed the covenant are on the ground. It’s commonly debated with total seriousness on site such as spacebattles, if the covenant could win in a ground battle vs a WW2 army. And the best part was that the WW2 army was winning.

Yep, the covenant assuming equal numbers could lose to a WW2 army.

34. WorthNEO July 14, 2014 at 10:29 am -      #6534

@OriginalA The problem with kinetic barriers is that they won’t stop thermal energy. Guess where plasma’s damage comes from. That’s right! Let’s not forget that plasma rifles and even plasma pistols are up in the high kilojoule range, and the shields for covenant infantry are low megajoule, high kilojoule.

Wow, Reach calculations! The next thing we know, you’ll be talking about sub-kiloton MAC guns…. Yes, those were in Reach

Where did you get the idea that I can’t use the formula which I stated before, in this thread?

The Covenant and ME infantry are both glass cannons to each other.

I’ve already stated that, individually, Mass Effect has better infantry. Actually, I like Mass Effect better because the level of advancement in ME is more akin to what might happen in real life, as opposed to the UNSC being five hundred years more advanced than us and the biggest advancement in small arms weapon technology being HUD linked weapons and a Battle Rifle, essentially a fancy-looking M16 without the problems of an M16.

Quantity has a quality of its own. The Citadel forces can merely be drowned in plasma pistol-wielding grunts.

You’re acting as if the Covenant won’t bring orbital superiority to every engagement.
    ==
    @Epicazeroth,
    Enjoy the necromancy.

Eh, I think you’re forgetting that Hunters pack a 2.9 gigajoule cannon on their arm.

Black hole gun? Never heard of it… What’s it called?

I should probably point out that Covent plasma is magic.

Besides, it’s the thermal energy carrying through that makes plasma so deadly to kinetic barriers.

Also, the plasma v KB thing has been debated to extent on spacebattles

The thanix is not something the UNSC will ever want to meet. Shields or not.

Shepard seems to be about peak human condition, and Krogans are bit stronger and more durable. However, they can be brought down by a headbutt from Shepard. We don’t have any hard numbers for Krogan strength, though.
    ==
    @IamTaco,

Yet that same website, with the same amount of seriousness, often, too often, in fact, pits Halo against Mass Effect? The best part is that the consensus there is that the Covenant would beat the Reapers silly.

35. Friendlysociopath July 14, 2014 at 11:20 am -      #6535

If this is being revived- space magic plus a friggin droid army wins land wars, Reapers win space wars. The Geth can literally just create more soldiers, Halo’s Grunts could breed fast, but Geth can be created faster.

The UNSC has weapons that can actually destroy Covenant ships, let that sink in for just a moment; “even the UNSC can destroy Covenant ships”.

On Reaper weaponry (probably the biggest space gun ME has) “Their main weapon is a spinal mounted “magnetohydrodynamic” cannon with a yield of 132 to 450 kilotons of TNT” this stream of molten metal is fired at the speed of light. That’s one hell of a bang. By Mass Effect 3 a scaled down version is reverse-engineered and is being used by everyone in the Alliance. A larger version is used for dreadnought-size ships.

Explain it me, please, why do the Covenant win so hard through space battles? Forerunners I could possibly understand- but Covenant?

36. WorthNEO July 14, 2014 at 11:40 am -      #6536

@Friendlysociopath,
    UNSC frigates have a bigger main gun than ME Dreadnoughts. Let that sink in…

UNSC MAC yields range from sub kiloton (low end, UNSC frigates), to 64 kilotons (mid-range, accepted UNSC frigate calc), to double-digit megatons (UNSC Infinity) to 51+ gigatons (ODPs) to 1.17 teraton (High-end, outlier UNSC frigate).

Covenant energy projectors produce teratons per second and plasma torpedoes are rated at single digit megatons.

The Covenant generally beats the Reapers due to a combination of superior firepower, a large enough armada, and their stellar engineering.

Who debates Forerunners against Mass Effect? Mass Effect literally has nothing that would pose a threat to the Forerunners.

37. Tyran July 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm -      #6537

@IamTaco
    Such debates always handwave the Covenant Navy, and the Covenant is heavily reliant on their ships to support their ground forces.

38. OberHerr July 14, 2014 at 1:16 pm -      #6538

Yeah, while I know SB has a hate-boner for the UNSC….I mean did they honestly think any major engagement from those forces wouldn’t include some air support?

39. erickyboo July 14, 2014 at 1:18 pm -      #6539

Ugh, this new revival is likely filled with very inconsistent and wrong numbers… I also saw some paragon lost… other then the sniper, it wasn’t that powerful looking for others…

www.halopedia.org/Covenant_super-destroyer

This one took over 2368 kilotons if we go by the number of ships left and 64 kilotons. Not including Shivas and archers and the destroyed ships.

Someone mentioned not liking legends? I enjoy watching it with new knowledge of the halo universe. The babysitter, looks like ancient human ruins. How do they know about prophets? Seems more clear now, ONI keeps tabs with special informers.

40. Epicazeroth July 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm -      #6540

@Friendly: “a yield of 132 to 450 kilotons of TNT” this stream of molten metal is fired at the speed of light. That’s one hell of a bang.”
    Read the Codex for the Reaper invasion of Earth. It says something like “Reaper gunships put out megaton-level firepower”. If that means Reaper Destroyers, I’m fairly sure there are more Destroyers than Capital Ships.
    @Worth: The 38 kT yield is low-end ME Dreadnought – the weakest Human one. Kilimanjaro-class, Turian ships, or bigger ones like Asari or Geth ships would have stronger yields.

“Black hole gun? Never heard of it… What’s it called?”
    Reaper Blackstar. Cerberus has one called the Blackstorm.

“I should probably point out that Covent plasma is magic.”
    Err… what?

“Shepard seems to be about peak human condition, and Krogans are bit stronger and more durable.”
    Real life peak human? Shepard can fire an unmodified Claymore and Widow. He can lift Grunt while he’s armored. And Krogan can lift and throw large metal doors (like 15 ft by 6 ft). Wrex casually backhands a grown man 10 ft, lands on a Kodiak shuttle so hard it breaks and falls, and pushes a man into the shuttle (while inside it) that the shuttle rocks. That’s a bit over real life peak human.
    @Everyone: Two things, if this debate is going to be revived for real.
    1) Should I read up on important topics for the debate? If so, which topics and what would be good threads/sources for me to read?
    2) Should I read the debate itself? I hope I don’t have to read the whole thing; I assume that anything before mid-late 2012 would be useless. So if I should read this (even just for fun) around what page should I start?

41. deathmetal3k July 14, 2014 at 1:33 pm -      #6541

@Everyone this debate should NOT be revived till more games/books come out for either franchise.

It has already been agreed after like 3000-4000 comments that Halo wins over Mass Effect, but it’s not a stomp.

Seriously why is this thread being revived? -_-

42. L-w July 14, 2014 at 1:51 pm -      #6542

Dear Lord people give it a rest. Let the thread die already.
    ———–
    We still have a bunch of threads left inconclusive.
    _
    Elsa vs Ozai

Forrest Gump in the Hunger games

Just Let it go.

43. Ranger Lowk July 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm -      #6543

“other then the sniper, it wasn’t that powerful looking for others…”

Assault rifles were putting large head sized holes and chunks out of stone.

44. OberHerr July 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm -      #6544

Guys, it have been established as of now Halo wins. We’ve been over ALL of this. Nothing new has come up since then.

45. croc911 July 18, 2014 at 7:09 pm -      #6545

I just came to this site and saw this. Did you guys even argue for mass effect 3? Because I noticed in the first few pages that Mass effect 3 did not come out.

46. OberHerr July 18, 2014 at 7:44 pm -      #6546

Oh yes. We did. Trust me in saying, that everything that can be argued as of the time of this comment posting, has been argued. Now, once the next Halo and Mass Effect games come out…then we can resume.

And welcome to the site, hope you can stick around.

47. the_man_with The_Answers July 21, 2014 at 2:00 am -      #6547

“Meanwhile, at their best, KBs can block multiple missiles and recharge even faster than the Spartan shield’s can.”

For the record, Infantry-Scale missiles in Mass Effect never really came off as very powerful.

“We know from Halo:The Flood that an unshielded Elite cannot survive a 50 cal bullet to the head without shields”

Considering it is a semi-armor piercing, high-explosive round (Capable of blowing entire limbs off of Flood forms in the same book), I’m not sure what your point is. As far as demonstrated feats, the magnum comes off as much more powerful than Mass Effect pistols (In general). Of course, we do see Krogans go down to one or two pistol shots all the time…

“Additionally, Spartans aren’t so well armored as to be tanks compared to Elites.”

Which is flat out wrong. Even before SPARTANs had shields, insurrectionists would treat a squad of SPARTAN-IIs with the equivalent firepower that would be expected to be used against a column of light tanks. In the Fall of Reach, we not only have Mark V armor shrugging off excessively high caliber rounds, but also surviving an anti-tank missile exploding right behind the head, with the operator (Master Chief) still intact. Drops from orbit, surviving direct hits from fuel rods, and feats of similar caliber all testify to how much more powerful MJOLNIR is compared to the Elite combat harness. The only saving grace for the Covenant is that, for whatever reason, their “plasma” weaponry is exceptional at draining shields.

“Many do not even have proper armor in large quantities.”

Define “proper armor”

And something else I would like to point out. Many combatants in Mass Effect don’t have shielding either. Apparently, from cut scenes in Mass Effect 3, your standard alliance soldiers don’t even come equipped with barriers, seeing how easily they were picked off during the combat on Earth.

“Even the average human marine from the Systems Alliance is already genetically modified to preform beyond the baseline human”

Another extremely over-hyped facet of Mass Effect.
    Memory refreshment:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_a_FP6VKk

“No enhancement is guaranteed to take”
    “8% in adrenal response”
    “12% faster clotting”
    “a ‘measurable’ decrease in zero-gee muscle degeneracy”
    Their competition can get a whopping “16% faster clotting” (With apparently cherry-picked results)
    A “sensory package” includes 20/15 vision and hearing in the range of 12 to 22,000 hertz (Regular human have roughly 20 to 20,000 hertz)

Yeah.. Alliance Marines sure sound like they are going to be significantly more physically advanced than other humans, let alone just about any other alien species.

“Their aren’t the Asari Commandos that can positively wreck shit, like the five Asari Commandos that were able to rack up a kill count of over 100 mercenaries in nine days from the Blood Pack (Krogans and Vorcha; both are races known for being able to survive things that will kill a human several times over).”

Considering the ODST squad from Halo: ODST, over the course of about one day, had a total kill count in the hundreds, possibly verging on a thousand, you want me to act impressed? Literally every race in the Covenant, barring the Prophet race, is more physically robust than humans. Brutes themselves taking automatic fire to the bare chest and shrugging it off (On top of being faster, and I’d bet stronger than Krogan as well).

“Yeah, the Covenant aren’t winning any land battles without orbital support any time soon.”

Which they’re pretty much going to have all the time, so the point is moot.

Yes, Mass Effect is better on the ground than the Covenant. But honestly, probably not by an extremely wide margin when all things are considered.

“Shepard seems to be about peak human condition, and Krogans are bit stronger and more durable. However, they can be brought down by a headbutt from Shepard.”

More like way beyond peak human. He’s practically entirely synthetic after Cerberus rebuilds him. A lot faster and stronger than any human in Mass Effect could hope to be. And the only thing brought down by Commander Shepard’s head butt was that Krogan’s ego.

“The Infinity is just one ship, against dozens of ME dreadnoughts and hundreds to thousands of Reapers. ODP’s are not a factor in battles unless ME just immediately attacks UNSC planets.”

See that part “dozens of dreadnaughts?” That’s Mass Effect’s problem. Their biggest and baddest ships’, besides the Reapers, firepower stacks up well against UNSC Frigates, literally some of the weakest ships in Halo. And they only have a relative few dreadnaughts.

48. erickyboo July 23, 2014 at 5:52 am -      #6548

It depends on what the rocks are made of. Anime visuals didn’t help much.

Anyways, breaking news! The ur-didact survived and went to a forerunner planet. He seems to have an army of promethean too. There is also a monitor. There is also an active forerunner catalog.

Spartan black team is dead, they got killed by prometheans.

Longswords have slipspace drives so that’s cool. John got reunites with blue team.

Anyways, the UNSC also has new ships.
    www.halopedia.org/Poseidon-class_light_carrier
    www.halopedia.org/Vindication-class_light_battleship
    Autumn class cruisers.

49. Octavian@146 July 26, 2014 at 10:19 am -      #6549

Has probably been mentioned already but the Halo 4 EVG states that Strident Class frigates can go one on one with a variety of Covenant Capital ships…. I’m assuming that ranges anywhere from Frigate to mid-ton cruisers…. and win.

Post-War UNSC is many OOM smaller than the ME polities… but their ships are going to wreck anyone that comes near them.

Not to mention, UNSC slipspace far outstrips the Covenant at this point. A slipspace capable longsword made it to Installation 03, well over 25,000 ly away from Earth, in a single day.

Infinity makes it to Requiem in a day, then to a UNSC trade route in a short jump, and then to the heart of Brute space in a day.

Pelicans in the Kilo 5 trilogy can jumo from the interior/edge of UNSC space to Venezia, and far flung outer colony… in 90 minutes.

They may not have the numbers, but they can slipspace jump circles around ME forces.

50. IamTaco August 1, 2014 at 1:01 pm -      #6550

Meh, I always maintained that even if you gave ME their high end and gave halo their low end. Then have ME win every single battle they engage in, be it on the ground or in space.

And halo would still win by destroying all the relays.

They could be be losing badly, losing most of their worlds/planets/systems and once they find out about the relays and their location. They can literally destroy the majority of them within a single day. And ME has no defense against this tactic.

51. Ranger Lowk August 11, 2014 at 3:45 am -      #6551

So found out UNSC does still use booster frames. I feel like rocket space bikes should’ve been stated more as a thing that Halo has. They could’ve been what lightsaber are to star wars or biotics are to Mass Effect.

52. erickyboo August 11, 2014 at 11:32 am -      #6552

Hard light is more on what halo has. Besides, booster frames haven’t been used much and they require a Spartan operator. They’re also classified as ammunition rather than vessels. But they’re quite effective and the EMP helps.

Anyone else agrees that 343i should make knights cooler and more, badbutt?
    erickyboo.tumblr.com/image/93838922471

53. IamTaco August 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm -      #6553

Booster frames, like most of halo’s vehicles, are fucking retarded.

Why yes, having a high speed space bike with no cockpit in a environment with tons of high speed debris.

54. MasterchiefQr August 24, 2014 at 9:19 am -      #6554

55. Mr. happy August 26, 2014 at 8:28 am -      #6555

‘Don’t forget the Forerunners version of a death star X50. Also Mantles approach is bigger then the Citedale and could use toursion fields.’

Forerunners tend to have an answer to anything other contemporaries have. How they compare pound for pound is a completely different issue.

Torsion fields are also present on War Sphinxes.

56. Ciridae Hunter August 29, 2014 at 10:20 am -      #6556

That isn’t fair…

Halo versus Mass Effect is like pitting Steve Urkel and Muhammad Ali against each other in a fist fight.

Sure, Halo’s humans have the Spartans, but their shields are shit compared to basic gear for even the greenest recruit in the Alliance forces-hell, a basic assault rifle in Mass Effect doesn’t take sixty shots to take down an Elite with moderate shields. The Halo military is always just scraping by with crappy weapons, no shields for anything but Spartans, and subpar strategy that really only constitutes a tactics book written by Michael Bay. The Alliance is better armed, better armored, and though they follow Michael Bay’s stratagem as well, they do a helluva lot less dying.

The Flood is pretty good for this (assuming they could control the Flood-which is doubtful) since they just spread and spread-but a squad of Elites is enough for hundreds of Flood, so a squad of Asari commandos with Salarian shields and Turian muscle would easily be enough for a thousand at the least. The Geth would be paramount for wiping the flood out, since they are inorganic in every sense save for intelligence.

Halo might have had in suborbital vehicles (ex. Banshee) if not for the fact that Alliance and Council fighters are far faster, posses more advanced weapons and shields and far outnumber human/Covenant ships.

Ground vehicles definitely go to Halo-they have many more vehicles with more varied firepower (though the tank where troops sit OUTSIDE of it is just stupid) and in general have better armor-even with Mass Effect shields taken into account (remember getting critical tires randomly?).

Space battles are Mass Effect without doubt-Dozens of fleets with thousands of Dreadnought-class battleships (of advanced Turian-make, mostly) and hundreds of thousands of other ships just owned by the other Council races; this does not include the Reapers, Geth, Quarians, Krogans, non-council denominators-hell, even the Rachi are capable of space travel.

All-in-all, Halo is a baby with a machine gun fighting a Predator: dead when Mass Effect feels like frying it.

57. Mr. happy August 29, 2014 at 12:05 pm -      #6557

@Ciridae Hunter

I am in a good mood so I’ll take my time. Yes you have pointed out that Halo is inferior in many aspects but let’s see why you’re post is wrong shall we?

The skinny Grunts with shields are Jackals or Kig-Yar the marksmen of the Covenant. They are very good with their lethal plasma weapons. That’s right plasma.

The Elites look useless and terrible but are also highly militaristic and when they act in the absence of Prophets, they are highly competent and very hard to put down. They can also pin Spartans with one hand and as seen are very agile.

Brutes however brutish they are are very strong and can probably go toe to toe with Krogan and it can be iffy.

Hunters are just walking tanks. They need anti armor weapons or just hit the weak spots. And what are those Knight things you’re talking about? Promethean Knights? They suck in Forerunner terms but would crush most ME forces.

In the final cutscene of ME3, a lot of the Alliance soldiers do not have kinetic barriers. That’s right, they are kinetic barriers(KBs). These are poor against plasma and guess who has plasma weaponry everywhere?

UNSC rifles are known to be accurate to 500 meters and it apparently has almost no recoil! Sure Alliance weapons are better because of eezo but it still is better.

For all your ME hype I was hoping to overlook the vehicals section because I thought you’d support ME. But WHAT? ME vehicals are leagues better than Halo’s. The Scorpion is slow and has a large frame that makes it stand out. The Mako on the other hand is small and fast and packs quite a punch. The only thing the Scorpion can say about the Mako is that at least it looks like a tank, troop carrier.

The Flood is one of the most underrated species because of their showing in Halo CE and the following games. The Flood can reach points where it BENDS SPACE AND TIME by its mere PRESENCE. And there are numerous other things but I will not go into detail. If the Flood gets involved whether they decide to not eat the rest of Halo or not, Mass Effect dies. Even the Reapers.

The whole of the Alliance has only a handful of dreadnoughts with the Turians having close to thirty. These dreadnoughts are barely over a kilometer. That is the classification of Covenant and UNSC Cruisers. Covenant ‘dreadnoughts’ are up to five kilometers long and pack energy weapons that travel at half the speed of light. And it has been pointed out that Covenant CCS class crusiers stand a chance against Reaper Capital ships or Sovereign class Reapers.

Ad no, ME does not have more ships. The Covenant lost over 500 ships comprising of cruisers and their escorts and numerous carriers without batting an eye. What did they do after that? Invade Earth! Also evidence for the hundreds of thousands of ships.

During the events of Halo 4, it is shown that the UNSC has a major tech upgrade. The Covenant War era UNSC would die terribly fighting the SA in space and on the ground, it will be the other way around during Halo 4 albeit only in space. They have Forerunner slipspace engines that allow speeds that exceed even that of Mass Relays if they want to and her Frigates she carry will be a match for SA dreadnoughts if they play their cards right.

All in all, lurk more and read he whole thread before posting. And learn how to properly debate.
    P.s. may I ask who or what has been filling your head with super Mass Effect? We have not touched the Forerunners yet and they already are in a bad position!

58. Ciridae Hunter August 29, 2014 at 1:05 pm -      #6558

To tell you the truth, I have been awake for 52 hours now-I can coherently think, but information can be scrambled in the process; sleep deprivation is manageable, but only if one makes lack of sleep an abstract.

I actually said the Scorpion was a stupid tank, but I didn’t remember the name so I just said “the tank where troops sit on the outside” instead of saying Scorpion.

Remember that the Collector Particle Beam is plasma, yet shields can hold for quite some time if the armor is advanced enough. Many of the Geth use Alliance/Council race weapons, yes, but that is most likely due to the fuck-ups orchestrated by the Admiralty Board when they decided to Destroy All Geth!!! The Geth evolved to the point where they needed new technology to advance, so they created many weapons and even other Geth subgroups to do so; the Geth Hoppers (correct me if the name is wrong) use plasma beams fired from their face to attack-their heads are structurally identical to underdeveloped Geth, so it is impossible to say that they use the same mechanics as an average weapon in the ME universe before they switched to the retarded Thermal Clips (ungodly mistake, especially in this match) due to the fact that no other Geth-not even ones superior to the Hoppers-could do so as well. Rachni just spit acid, but I annihilated them by the time I saw them in-game-and the Reapers have no way of producing projectile weaponry or-if they forced the Protheans to do that-then they would not be able to reproduce ammunition, so it makes sense that they would have made their own energy weaponry.

The Forerunners-like the Prophets-are filler and background noise; if they were so powerful, then they could have easily wiped Master Chief’s existence off of the face of anything-but somehow, all of their power-all of that infinite knowledge and experience-means dick to a green Darth Vader/Stormtrooper hybrid with a flippant personality and (if I remember correctly-correct me if I’m wrong) a little Forerunner blood in him.

The flood are really quite useless in this since-like you said-the Mako-series vehicles have superior firepower; if a shotgun can kill a dozen Flood (happened in-game that I killed three Covenant/flood hybrids and nine of those face-sucking things from Half-Life) with a single slug, then how in the name of Carl Sagan would the flood stand a chance?

Also, kinetic energy doesn’t just apply to physical objects like a bullet-a blank round in an M16A2 assault rifle can still kill someone at point-blank range if the energy produced by the powder hasn’t dissipated enough on its way towards a target; plasma, in terms of energy weaponry, is energy being propelled at great speeds towards a designated target-ergo, that energy must be acted upon by kinetic energy from the weapon or else the Covenant would have been firing laser beams like Mecha Godzilla due to the fact that a laser beam requires a constant stream of energy to go further and further away from the weapon.

You are sorta right with the spaceships-yes, Covenant Dreadnoughts are big-yes, they have some weaponry from the Death Star at their disposal-but what exactly are the targeting parameters of a Covenant super-weapon? Can they target smaller ships, or are they restricted to glassing a continent? If those cannons were so damn good, why were they never used on Earth-why give the enemy a chance to survive if you know for a fact that you can easily wipe them out? Do they have defensive weapons capable of hitting the speedy fighters of ME, or is this really like a fast-travel Death Star thing for each one?

This thread should have been about things that were actually used in the canon source-because defending a psychopathic, serial-killing artist simply because the portrait in his study is impressive is an irrelevant argument; these posts are for canon-used things, not wild machinations from folk takes within the canon source; if you read a fantasy novel where a god of legends wipes out the world and all of a sudden that book shows up on a thread like this, you wouldn’t be able to use that world-destroying god because it is merely a story within what actually matters.

59. Ciridae Hunter August 29, 2014 at 1:07 pm -      #6559

60. Ciridae Hunter August 29, 2014 at 1:08 pm -      #6560

61. Ranger Lowk August 29, 2014 at 2:36 pm -      #6561

“They suck in Forerunner terms but would crush most ME forces.”

They are about as dangerous to ME’s troops as ME troops are to them.
    “In the final cutscene of ME3, a lot of the Alliance soldiers do not have kinetic barriers.”

KB are standard to combat suit.
    “with thousands of Dreadnought-class battleships”

Last I checked it was a few dozen. Maybe a little more if you factor in Geth.
    “Actually-if you think about it-ME really only shows the Mako and a few variations of it as the form of land-offensive vehicles; Halo has the Warthogs, the Ghosts, the Wraiths-and the Covenant’s attempt at making a War of the Worlds cosplaying vehicle (is it called the Scarab? Don’t remember the name) so really Halo has better land vehicles.”

Mako is one type of vehicle but it chassis serves as ground for other uses.
    “Several combat support vehicles using the Mako’s basic chassis are manufactured for Alliance surface garrisons. These include a recon drone controller, a mobile air defense platform, and the M38 military ambulance nicknamed “Moby” because it is painted white during peacekeeping operations. Shipboard Marines exclusively use the tactically flexible and heavily armed base model.”
    -Galactic codex ME 1 site

They also have The Grizzly which is bigger mako.
    A hover tank which somewhat capable of limited flight that quick, has self repair, and can spam homing rockets.
    Turians also have a hover tank that and hit targets from 20 miles away.
    Above all combat vehicle are also stated to be shielded in addition to being armored and most cover the operator and passengers.
    On top of that I think the Mako itself has a bigger cannon then most of the halo tanks in addition to being a railgun.

Halo just has more types vehicles, it doesn’t make them better.
    “These are poor against plasma”

ME plasma weaponry =/= Halo Plasma weaponry.
    Shield are stated that they can’t stop heat and radiation. But there armor is designed to help against that some. They aren’t immune but it give them a bit of protection.

62. Glutinous-Bicarbonate August 29, 2014 at 2:52 pm -      #6562

Also consider firepower disparity. Sovereign’s Main Gun is far and away the most powerful space borne weapon I’m aware of, at a couple hundred kilotons. Covenant ships can regularly dish out and in limited quantities, take that kind of kick. With Forerunner upgrades, the Infinity has graduated into megatons or maybe even gigatons-if the discussion in Infinity vs Malevolence is anything to go by.

Then there’s the Mantle’s Approach, which is fukhueg. If the sentinel factory on Onyx is at all capable of being repaired, you’ll start drowning in Onyx Sentinels.

63. Epicazeroth August 29, 2014 at 5:31 pm -      #6563

@G-B: Well, another Codex entry says “Reaper gunships” can unleash “megaton-scale firepower”.

64. IamTaco August 29, 2014 at 6:42 pm -      #6564

Guys, the new guy is probably a idiot or a troll. Or both. Just ignore him, there a 6000 thousand comments that explain this match up that he could choose to read but hasn’t. There is no explaining it to him. Halo already won. At this point we’re just waiting for halo 5 and ME4 to see such side gets a up-grade and who gets the nerf bat to the face.

@Epicazeroth
    Well, if you want to use that logic, then UNSC frigates also dish out megaton level firepower.

65. Ranger Lowk August 29, 2014 at 8:47 pm -      #6565

“Well, another Codex entry says “Reaper gunships” can unleash “megaton-scale firepower”.”

Been thinking about this. If they are pouring on a steady stream from a weapon that does almost 500 kilotons then wouldn’t maintaining the beam result in megatons after a few seconds?
    That or nukes. Antimatter nukes apparently are a thing in ME.
    In Halo news, I’ve been reading Escalation. They can put a glassing cannon on space stations as offensive weapons.

66. Mr. happy August 29, 2014 at 8:52 pm -      #6566

‘Considering they go down using regular halo weaponry don’t think they big of a trouble. Maybe to basic ass soldiers with just a gun but tech guys and biotic guys should have less trouble with them.
    They are about as dangerous to ME’s troops as ME troops are to them.’

Their danger is in their ability to drown the enemy in numbers. A Knight brings up a sentry, the sentry continues to create Crawlers.

Yeah a troll is a troll.

67. Ranger Lowk August 29, 2014 at 9:10 pm -      #6567

“A Knight brings up a sentry, the sentry continues to create Crawlers.”

Geth travel with drones and can spawn more. Same is possible with the other races.

68. pimpmage August 29, 2014 at 9:58 pm -      #6568

“They have Forerunner slipspace engines that allow speeds that exceed even that of Mass Relays if they want to ”

Was it mentioned anywhere how fast those relays actually made your ship? I have only played the first two games, and I don’t believe there was inter-slip description. Isn’t it instantaneous? As long as they have a relay wherever they start though.

69. Ciridae Hunter August 29, 2014 at 9:58 pm -      #6569

Sorry about my first post-my roommate’s dickwad friends screwed up my intended Halo win post (though I read the post and the Scorpion tanks are stupid)

All I have to say about Halo/Mass Effect is that they (producers of the franchises) either let them die gracefully or keep them going with swordsplosions and awesomeness-I will Mike Tyson a motherflubber if they mess them up!

Also, Master Chief, Arbiter, and Garrus would be an unstoppable killing force.

70. Ciridae Hunter August 29, 2014 at 10:03 pm -      #6570

Sorry about previous post-my roommates’ dickwad friends like to mess with my online status; however, the Scorpion tanks are stupid.

All I have to say about either franchise is my dream team for a battle: Master Chief, Arbiter, Garrus, and Thane Krios…can you not feel the awesomeness dripping from every letter?

71. Epicazeroth August 29, 2014 at 10:29 pm -      #6571

@Lowk: “If they are pouring on a steady stream from a weapon”
    Yeah that’s the problem. We don’t know how it’s measured. That could be a one-second blast, or the damage they recorded over the time it took to destroy the ship.

72. IamTaco August 30, 2014 at 12:42 am -      #6572

@Epicazeroth
    @Ranger Lowk
    Well, if that was the case, then it would be impossible to measure reaper firepower. But from the codex, we can see that ME have found a way to do although they ended with two figures probably due to the liquid nature of the weapon.

You’re forgetting one main thing, power. 400 kiloton of force is nothing to laugh at, and reapers don’t have infinite power supplies here. After all, reapers do have reload times on their thainx cannons after all, maybe in order to charge up their railguns for another shot.

‘Geth travel with drones and can spawn more. Same is possible with the other races;

Can they do so from the dirt itself? Here’s how it works, the watcher points it’s magic flashlight on the ground and a bunch of crawlers magically appear out of the dirt in a matter of seconds. Same for the knights.

73. Ranger Lowk August 30, 2014 at 1:59 am -      #6573

“So 400 kiloton figure is probably the maximum amount of power their thainix cannon can tolerate and their reactors can output before needing to recharge.”

“Can they do so from the dirt itself?”

One type is basically holographics mixed with KBs. The other is a about old phone sized that basically a ME style gun.
    They are probably made using to the same method Omni-tool use to instantly assemble stuff like blades and armor. Or how some ME weapons come with built in ammo constructors. So not dirt, space mag i mean; technology. Space technology.

74. Ciridae Hunter August 30, 2014 at 2:22 am -      #6574

Is the whole flashlight to the dirt thing similar to a teleportation matrix like the Digistruct technology in Borderlands? If so, then directing it at the ground makes sense because you don’t want to kill/destroy whatever they want to use.

If the crawlers spring up from the ground, then they might have already been there and the flashlight is actually a type of signaling device that sends magnetic pulses to alert them of the proper time to move.

75. Mr. happy August 30, 2014 at 5:09 am -      #6575

The flashlight to dirt does not teleport. It assembles a new Crawler from the resources at hand. Slipspace teleportation is when the disassemble into a light behind them.

76. Ciridae Hunter August 30, 2014 at 5:25 am -      #6576

Well, Digistruction is basically scanning raw materials and inorganic life forms (like robots) and using the collected data and raw materials in another area to assemble them in designated spots-much more efficient and effective then on-hand resources that might or might not get the job done. Quite green, though.

But since Digistruction isn’t Halo or Mass Effect, we’ll just have to save the whales with on-site resource consumption.

77. Commander Cross August 30, 2014 at 6:10 am -      #6577

Does ME have a response to Red vs Blue as of yet?

78. IamTaco August 30, 2014 at 9:21 am -      #6578

‘So megatons could either come from nukes or an other type they didn’t really go over in the codex. Kind of like that huge anti-ship cannon.;

Probably just nukes. Firepower in ME is mainly based on the length of the weapon, the power output of the reactor and their element zero core. So the bigger ship the better. And seeing as sovereign class reaper ships are descried as the biggest and most powerful reaper star ship, I find it very unlikely that a ‘reaper gunship’ with it’s 1 codex are quite a bit larger and more powerful then their capital ships.

Their ‘reaper gunship’ is probably a deicated starship used to carry around nukes/missiles/supplies around. After all in the quote from the codex that mentioned said ‘reaper gunships’ and megaton firepower, they stated that the ‘reaper gunships’ were using their megaton firepower to destroy underground bunkers and nuke silos. Places that might survive even a direct thanix shot to the face. So nukes it is.

79. Epicazeroth August 30, 2014 at 11:01 am -      #6579

@Lowk: “So megatons could either come from nukes or an other type they didn’t really go over in the codex. Kind of like that huge anti-ship cannon.”

“space mag i mean; technology. Space technology.”
    It makes sense. Well, for the ammo it’s stated you can just pick up any random block of hard material and load it. But for the omnitools, the implication is either that the entire hardsuit has a reservoir of compressed liquid plastics to use. Or they can take apart and reassemble molecules and atoms to make whatever material they need from the air.
    @Taco: “Can they do so from the dirt itself?”
    No. It has a core of a small amount of stuff the omnitool minifactures, and the rest is a holographic warning display.

“Their ‘reaper gunship’ is probably a deicated starship used to carry around nukes/missiles/supplies around.”

80. IamTaco August 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm -      #6580

‘Reapers don’t use bombs. Like, ever. So most likely case is that there’s another type of ship. Or it could mean damage on the scale of megaton blasts (a wide-spread main gun blast could do that).’

What you mean is that we never see the reapers using nukes ever. So in your head, that means that the reapers can never ever use nukes ever. It’s like saying that shepherd never uses the toilet or never needs to use the toilet because we never see him use the toilet ever.

Such poor logic. To that end, we almost never see any ME starship or ground force use nukes too. Does that mean that nukes are extremely extremely rare in the ME universe? To that end , we never ever actually see reapers use GARDIAN laser point defense before. Does that mean that they never use them? We also never see reaper troop transports or processors too. Does that mean that they don’t exist?

‘Do you know what a gunship is? It didn’t say “bomber”, it said “gunship”. So it used a gun.’

Dreadnought definition:a type of battleship introduced in the early 20th century, larger and faster than its predecessors and equipped entirely with large-calibre guns.

Cruiser definition:a relatively fast warship larger than a destroyer and less heavily armed than a battleship.

Frigate definition: a warship with a mixed armament, generally lighter than a destroyer (in the US navy, heavier) and of a kind originally introduced for convoy escort work.

Wow, I didn’t know that ME was a historical world war 2 navy shooter. Well, in that case halo wins this match outright having actual starships instead of outdated navy ships.

81. the_man_with The_Answers September 2, 2014 at 3:06 pm -      #6581

“First of all, Covenant are rather weak compared to Mass Effect aliens-an alien force mostly made up of Grunts can’t even begin to comprehend how much their asses are going to hurt with the Turians whupping them.”

The problem is that the Covenant have so many grunts that losing millions in individual campaigns is considered GOOD for their population. And the most basic grunt weapon is going to be extremely effective against Kinetic Barriers.

“Sure there are Brutes, Elites, Hunters, those Knight things that turn invisible, those shield-wielding aliens that are really only skinnier Grunts, and the background Prophets, but they have nothing against the tech-savvy Quarians, the hyper-intelligent Salarians, the Biotic Asari, the militant Turians, Krogans (’nuff said), the Rachni that almost wiped them out, the Geth, the Collectors, the Reapers (since Flood was designed to wipe out all organic life, Reapers/Reaper Shepard are safe) and a plethora of other aliens.”

As of ME3, right prior to the battle at Earth (The most fair time to put them at):

Quarians are in an extremely fragile situation. A low population mostly located in a single fleet. And as it so happens a Covenant fleet would likely have no issue wiping them out, seeing as said fleet is the “bargain bin” of all the ME fleets.

Salarians managed to stay fairly well hidden, but their military isn’t their strong point, and Covenant Engineers are leagues above them in R&D capabilities.

The Asari home planet Thessia was ravaged in the war, and their military is quite small compared to others. Not to mention their relatively low breeding rate, which isn’t going to tank casualties very well. There is a reason their main strategy is diplomacy.

The Turian home planet and moon were ravaged as well, though they still sport the best military along with the System Alliance. But again, they aren’t really in any shape to sustain a war with a growing and refreshed UNSC and a half dozen races who all have “soldier” as the #1 career.

Krogans don’t even have their own fleet, their population extremely small at this point, and would be extremely vulnerable to the Covenant just coming into orbit and glassing them.

The Rachni a basically the figment of a race. They’ve got one reaper-altered queen. No fleet. No massive army to speak of. Not even a home planet or any infrastructure.

The Geth are one of ME’s strongest races, but it would be interesting to see UNSC Smart AI and/or still functioning Forerunner monitors take them on in cyber warfare.

Collectors are essentially non existent. Home base destroyed, all known ships destroyed. Basically eradicated.

Reapers are ME’s strongest race. But they are all space combat, which means the DEW prone Covenant, and now the upgraded UNSC fleets are going to wipe the floor with them.

And for the record, the Flood are notoriously good at hacking and subverting synthetic life as well, so no, synthetics are not safe at all.

“Sure, Halo’s humans have the Spartans, but their shields are shit compared to basic gear for even the greenest recruit in the Alliance forces”

“Turian muscle would easily be enough for a thousand at the least.”

First off, a squad of anything but special forces elites is just easy food for even a handful of Flood. Second, Turians are only about as physically strong and durable as humans.

“The Geth would be paramount for wiping the flood out, since they are inorganic in every sense save for intelligence.”

So thought the Forerunners. Who had flying shielded drone armies with weapons designed against the Flood. Jokes on them when the Flood hacked it all and turned it against them. Even the Flood on 05 was fighting for tens of thousands of years against an entirely synthetic army of combat drones, with very minimal biomass. Which is like, longer than the Geth have even existed.

“thousands of Dreadnought-class battleships (of advanced Turian-make, mostly)”

Try “dozens” of dreadnaughts. Who’s firepower stacks up really well against UNSC Frigates. From 2 decades before current Halo.

“Considering they go down using regular halo weaponry don’t think they big of a trouble. Maybe to basic ass soldiers with just a gun but tech guys and biotic guys should have less trouble with them.
    They are about as dangerous to ME’s troops as ME troops are to them.”

1,000lb teleporting soldiers that have powerful shields that regenerate rather quickly. That also carry “Fuck-yo-shields-and-armor” weapons? That can also regenerate themselves from basically dust? They are going to steam roll almost any infantry that ME can field against them except for the most elite of the elite. Considering the Didact has a few dozen million more thanks to New Phoenix, I’m sure he’ll have a blast.

“Considering what they been fighting and for how long they did without back up I guess they’d already depleted enough energy to run the shields or maybe they were brought down.
    KB are standard to combat suit.”

They were fresh on the transports bringing them in. Doors open and Alliance marines get picked off rather effortlessly with no barrier flair. And we know from other cutscenes what it looks like when someone with a barrier gets shot. Most enemies don’t even have barriers. Like standard Geth, Cerberus troops, many Reaper forces, regular Collectors, many mercenaries. If Cerberus’ high-tech well funded enhanced basic troops don’t even get shields, I don’t see why regular alliance marines would either. Especially when it was said that these shield-less Cerberus troops would be more than a match for Alliance Marines.

82. Ranger Lowk September 2, 2014 at 4:17 pm -      #6582

“The standard System Alliance marines don’t even get shields as of the Mass Effect 3 cut-scenes.”

Which is bullshit considering that it’s stated as part of combat armor. Not to a specific race combat armor in general. Hell even non-combat envirosuit come with KBs.
    Regular alliance marine have been stated to have KBs in multiple instance. The human soldier you play in multiplayer are alliance marine have shields. Even the alliance’s resident redshirt Jenkins had shields.
    “1,000lb teleporting soldiers that have powerful shields that regenerate rather quickly.”

“Like standard Geth, Cerberus troops, many Reaper forces, regular Collectors, many mercenaries. ”

Isn’t that due to gameplay purposes? Pretty sure Whether they have them or not relies on the difficulty you select.
    Also when you play Geth troopers they have barriers. So even if they didn’t before they do now. Same for the Collectors.

83. the_man_with The_Answers September 2, 2014 at 7:59 pm -      #6583

#1. Regardless of difficulty, Cerberus Troopers, Guardians, Dragoons, and Geth Troopers lack shielding in Mass Effect 3. In Mass Effect 1/2, many enemies don’t get shields until you crank the difficulty up to Hardcore/Insane, which aren’t even unlocked until you beat the game on Veteran/Hardcore respectively. I would find it hard to believe that the difficulty most similar to the canon would be ones that are locked at game start. In Mass Effect 2, Grunt doesn’t have shields or barriers regardless of difficulty.

#2. The Alliance marines in the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer could be any rank or veterancy. The fact that they have gained particular attention as a quasi-N7 group also speaks highly that they are not your typical marine. That and the fact that they are capable of taking on dozens of enemies, while that was clearly not the case for the majority of Alliance marines during the war. Additionally, the Awakened Collector looks more like a Collector Captain, which already has shields. The Geth characters are also quite a bit different than their standard equivalent, seeing as they have a host of special abilities that your regular Geth don’t have.

#3. Commander Shepard’s basic armor is named “N7.” Regular marine armor is exactly the same in appearance as N7 armor. Yet I doubt that it is labeled the same or operates the same. Likely, Commander Shepard’s version of the armor is a significantly upgraded version meant for the most special of special forces in the Alliance.

#4. The armor Shepard buys is really expensive. Like thousands upon thousands of credits for individual pieces. Generally around 5,000 for individual parts. It is hard for me to believe that the Alliance is shelling out ~25,000 credits on each marine (Which is almost like their entire salary for a year I would guess). That’s not even counting the cost for a rifle and sidearm. Do you know how much we spend on our marines today (In a time of war)? Between $1,500 and $7,500.

Onto Prometheans.

“Seems a bit unfair you point out an obvious bullshit incident for ME to label a standard and not note that Prometheans have shown being dropped by single shots from shotguns and pistols. And wasn’t there and scene where Lasky managed to halt one by whacking it with a shotgun right before destroying with a single shot?”

And in the same episode you have marines hosing them down to no avail. The fact of the matter is that the CGI cutscenes in SPARTAN Ops are REALLY expensive and time consuming to make. And they only have a few minutes each episode. You can’t progress the story very much if it takes almost all of your episode to have a firefight with a single squad of Prometheans, and 343 Industries only has a limited amount of episodes (10) to get their story told. Or Elites for that matter (Which suffered the same CGI fate, even though they are seen with shields in literally every other part of the fiction, as well as in campaign cutscenes and scripted events).

84. Ranger Lowk September 2, 2014 at 10:46 pm -      #6584

“I would find it hard to believe that the difficulty most similar to the canon would be ones that are locked at game start.”

Difficulty is a a game mechanic. Lore puts KB as part of normal combat armor.
    ” The Alliance marines in the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer could be any rank or veterancy.”

It doesn’t matter how good they are when it isn’t mentioned they are using some kind of special armor like the actual N7’s are stated to be using.
    “Additionally, the Awakened Collector looks more like a Collector Captain, which already has shields. The Geth characters are also quite a bit different than their standard equivalent, seeing as they have a host of special abilities that your regular Geth don’t have.”

They are the current Geth and Collectors that are either released from mind control or are currently the free of reaper control. IE the current versions of there race.
    Also don’t collector captains have horns?
    ” Likely, Commander Shepard’s version of the armor is a significantly upgraded version meant for the most special of special forces in the Alliance.”

Yeah upgraded to have Better Shields and armor. Not to have them. It’s a common piece of tech in ME. Also I didn’t even bring up Shepard.
    “The armor Shepard buys is really expensive. Like thousands upon thousands of credits for individual pieces. Generally around 5,000 for individual parts. It is hard for me to believe that the Alliance is shelling out ~25,000 credits on each marine”

Shepard armor having KB isn’t special. Its a standard feature. Ashely had KB and so did Jenkins, they were regular alliance marines. Enviro-suit have KB and they are basically space suit. Though there is a difference in how strong each one is.

Garrus was a cop and had a KBs. Tali and Her kind are poor nomad and they had KBs. Kids have access to KB and use them for fun. There a sport where people and even the simulated enemies use them. It quite literately one of the most common pieces of tech in the their fiction.
    In the codex it doesn’t say some combat suits special or advanced or elite combat suits, just combat suit.
    “Modern combat hard-suits have a “triple canopy” of protection: shields, armor, and self-repair.”
    When someone is wearing one it’s automatically assumed they have KB in other parts of lore. If anything not having one would be rare, like Grunt. But even he still uses at type of shielding.

Are you seriously saying that one of the three race with affinity for war takes off ME field emitter of ther suit becasue they don’t want one of the most common pieces of technology that even cops, sport players, poor nomads, and even kid use daily? Despite the fact that it’s mentioned as a part of what make it IT, the fact that it’s comman as fuck, and actually shown to be used by regular marines.
    “And in the same episode you have marines hosing them down to no avail.”

No, I saw a lot of Stormtrooper like accuracy and a lot of misses. One of the first scenes all it took was a singe shotgun blast.
    ” You can’t progress the story very much if it takes almost all of your episode to have a firefight with a single squad of Prometheans”

So sort of like a cutscene where they wanted to show a firefight with casualties but didn’t want to take up a lot of time with a prolonged firefight while trying to using the limited in-game engine.
    Manswers are you messing with me, is it mess with BankGambling’s resident mass effect fanboy day?
    “And though the shields strength may change from difficulty to difficulty in Halo, they still always retain at least some amount of energy shielding.”

And though difficulty might dictate if they have shielding in game the fact remains that lore and multiple other part of canon puts KBs as a standard part of combat suits.

85. Ranger Lowk September 2, 2014 at 10:54 pm -      #6585

Also
    “Generally around 5,000 for individual parts. It is hard for me to believe that the Alliance is shelling out ~25,000 credits on each marine”

KBs are already part of modern combat suit, thats a standard.
    Shepard’s armor tends to have increased shielding/armor, special tech, or add-ons like extra batteries. KB are none of those things.

86. OberHerr September 2, 2014 at 11:46 pm -      #6586

Can you give a source for it being standard?

87. OberHerr September 2, 2014 at 11:53 pm -      #6587

And honestly, even if we take the Knights durability at that, their regeneration, teleportation, reality warping, ability to spawn units that can they spawn more units and regenerate them, as well as shield them, and their weapons being a OHK on any ME guy….makes them deadly as hell.

88. Ranger Lowk September 3, 2014 at 12:05 am -      #6588

“Can you give a source for it being standard?”

I just gave a direct quote explaining what combat armor is. Just Look for the words modern combat.
    Guess I should’ve put it in bold instead of italics.

89. Ranger Lowk September 3, 2014 at 12:24 am -      #6589

“makes them deadly as hell.”

And I never contested there deadly as hell status. Merely that Halo regular weaponry is capable of putting them down. ME weaponry should be just as if not more useful against them.

90. Mr. happy September 3, 2014 at 12:58 am -      #6590

‘Also what you guys feelings of omni-shields against promethean weapons? Omni weapons work by constructing solid objects and hold them away from the wearer. If it hits the shield would it stop it and only effect the shield since it’s not attacked to the user.’

It’s hard light, we do not know. It could destroy the Omni weapons, it could bypass it entirely, we just do not know.

91. CH1C4N0444 is allergic to bullets September 3, 2014 at 5:01 am -      #6591

“reality warping”

Wut??? How far behind am I in Halo? Since when were they reality warpers?

92. Hitman501st September 4, 2014 at 8:38 am -      #6592

First off MC and any spartan can take out any ground forces including biotics because of there shields alone as a biotic you got to get past that first. Another mass effect shields are made to stop knectic weapons the covenant uses energy so the ground troopers and ships will get own my covenant weapons alone plus the UNSC ships use MAC cannons and a far larger scale the mass effect ships any of them a standard UNSC cruiser Mac cannon is about the same size as a mass effect drought’s main gun. As for the geth humans smarts AIs can hack into the network and rewrite them to fight for the Halo side since the geth aren’t true AIs. The reapers largest ships are 2 kilometers long and a covenant destroyer is 1.8 kilometers long almost the same size let along any covenant ship bigger then a derstoryer class. The superMAC orbital gun is about just as long and has the largest round able to shatter a covenant super carrier and capital ship the two largest ships in the covenant fleet. Now the any mass effect ship needs a mass relay to get around fast even with only useing FTL drive they have it would take weeks to get to one star to another in a star cluster, let another star cluster to star cluster or across the galaxy. This would mean any mass effect fleet would take hunderds of years to get to the Halo galaxy, so once they are there they have no mass relays to travel quickly. The Halo ship all have slip space drives that once upgraded my forerrunner tech can make travel between galaxies only months long. Once there the can make a portal using forerunner tech for instantly traveling back and forth and the slip space drive would allow them to get around in the mass effect galaxy easily and quickly without having to use mass relay, they can attack from anywhere they want. Even the almighty reapers would fall in time from overwhelming force and/or hit and run attacks from anywhere and quick exit. By ships alone mass effect would fall and the ground forces could by glassed from orbit if they can prove to be too much to handle which I doubt. Mass effect has a lot of foot solders but not a lot of vehicles unlike Halo fractions. Conclusion Halo would make mass effect wish it never enough try to fight them.

93. Ranger Lowk September 4, 2014 at 9:54 am -      #6593

“First off MC and any spartan can take out any ground forces including biotics because of there shields alone as a biotic you got to get past that first.”

1. Shields don’t function the same. Ones just energy the other is an opposing mass effect field.
    2. Biotics have shown working on people regardless of shields.
    3. Last I checked Spartan shields don’t normally stop the effects reduced gravity.
    “Another mass effect shields are made to stop knectic weapons the covenant uses energy so the ground troopers”

Mass Effect fields have been stated to be able to interact with gases so the plasma assuming it it a gas should still have to contend with the shield. On top of that they do specifically have counter measure against energy weapon to help surviving getting hit by them.
    “since the geth aren’t true AIs”

They currently are true AIs.
    “mass effect ship needs a mass relay to get around fast even with only useing FTL drive”

Actually iirc they were capable of equaling the UNSC. But that before UNSC started getting boost in the tech department.
    “Mass effect has a lot of foot solders but not a lot of vehicles unlike Halo fractions.”

They have tons of vehicles. They just don’t have tons of types. Mako chassis makes up bunch of different types of vehicles. They have tanks but only two types have been noted so far. They also have rovers and flying cars.
    Also, don’t think Halo having a bunch of different types of vehicles is a good thing with a good deal of them leave the driver really exposed.
    Halo already won. They have the Space advantage in firepower and speed.
    Only debate is pointless ground battle stuff.

94. Mr. happy September 4, 2014 at 10:00 am -      #6594

‘Halo already won. They have the Space advantage in firepower and speed.
    Only debate is pointless ground battle stuff.’

Which we all agree Halo loses badly due to poorer weaponry, armor and shields. Unless they did up a War Sphinx or Seeker.

95. IamTaco September 15, 2014 at 4:29 am -      #6595

96. Warlock Lowk September 15, 2014 at 5:13 am -      #6596

“Well, now in halo-land, the diadact is confirmed to alive and is now in of 6, yes 6 fucking composers. GG mass effect.”

But Blue team has John back. I believe his Bay levels are to high for anything like composers to be left standing if he put in the effort. I mean pretty much everything he’s either been on or touched gets destroyed. Ships,giant rings, bombs, cortana, vehicles, scarabs… did his space bike get destroyed or was that another spartan?

97. the_man_with The_Answers September 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm -      #6597

Off-topic. Lowk, do you have/play Destiny? And if yes, what console?

98. Warlock Lowk September 15, 2014 at 6:37 pm -      #6598

Yes and PS4

99. the_man_with The_Answers September 15, 2014 at 9:00 pm -      #6599

That’s unfortunate. I’ve got it on the 360, and then the Xbox One sometime in November (Free upgrade from last gen to current gen if you get the digital download).

100. Ninja Xtreme September 15, 2014 at 9:18 pm -      #6600

Who is really winning? I’m, confused.