Halo Vs Mass Effect

Halo Vs Mass Effect

Here we have a clash of two Sci-Fi franchises looking for bragging rights. I don’t know enough about the Mass Effect universe to give a fair estimation on who would win, so I’ll leave it to the good hands of the BankGambling readers.

Who wins?

1 2 3 4 5 6 67

6,630 Comments on "Halo Vs Mass Effect"

1. L-W June 27, 2010 at 12:04 am -      #301

Star Wars is about Medieval era warrior Monks and Knights equipped with light swords who defer to a mystical cosmic entity that binds the will of all life, whilst simultaneously flying WWII era propeller planes, blasting giant holes in the sides of ten mile long starships and fighting giant moon sized spheres that generate more energy than the combined output of a billion stars; oh did I mention that they zip around from end of the Galaxy to the next at tens of millions of times the speed of light on what amounts to a single day trip to them?

Where do YOU think Star Wars lies?

2. Cjrodarte June 27, 2010 at 12:10 am -      #302

I was just asking.but do you think this match is worthy for a FP award?

3. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 9:51 am -      #303

“(I wish more fictional series would publish and maintain a Codex during production). ”
    It would make matches so much easier you really have to admire them for doing that in mass effect.

“Why mass effect loses it is more realistic and has more proof in everything.”

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH”
    But it’s true….

They could bump into that kind of tech in ME3 and it saves them from the reapers.
    So I wouldn’t write it off yet.

4. ZomBninjasamurai June 27, 2010 at 10:03 am -      #304

“As for the match it isn’t impossible for mass effect to make a tech leap they have made before remember the human’s discovering ancient tech that gave them a huge boost along with all of the other races?
    So I wouldn’t write it off yet.”

5. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 10:10 am -      #305

“Mass Effect loses… end of story… its been written off… also… the UNSC or the Covenant could easily destroy the Reapers with little effort…”
    I guess that is what it gets for trying to add realism then.
    www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/540189

6. ZomBninjasamurai June 27, 2010 at 10:16 am -      #306

“I guess that is what it gets for trying to add realism then.”

its Sci-Fi…

7. Cargo June 27, 2010 at 10:28 am -      #307

8. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 10:45 am -      #308

“its Sci-Fi…”Half-ass excuse is what it sounds like to me.
    It is Sci-Fi based on realism do you honestly think that earth in 2500+yrs wouldn’t have an accurate account on all of their weapons on what they can do and somehow degrade ground forces beyond all odds worse than now and people just as an excuse say
    “it isn’t important anymore”.
    No excuse to have your ground forces be worse than now since the ground forces should have a status quo way above now no matter what, this is sci-fi not fantasy
    it should have some kind of accuracy.
    Also I have never seen the civilian side in Halo is their even one?
    Would the people approve of just blowing up planets on either side?
    Has this been covered in little over 300 posts?
    Just skip all of this and go right to the fighting?

“If you really want a realistic sci fi universe then all the aliens would not resemble humanoids in any way shape or form.”You see that isn’t true it isn’t impossible that life would evolve similarity to us in such a huge universe at all.

9. tartarsauce June 27, 2010 at 10:48 am -      #309

“I was just asking.but do you think this match is worthy for a FP award?”

Ummm…yeah !
    It’s not exactly a roflstomp, if Mass effect ground troops can beat whatever halo ground forces there are, and since it’s all about air superiority, then….so yeah.

Unless you would want to compare this to starwars vs halo, in which halo was out classed in every aspect.
    And starwars still got the award despite it being a roflstomp, but is quickly overshadowed by the immense debate.

I nominate halo.

10. Cargo June 27, 2010 at 10:51 am -      #310

“You see that isn’t true it isn’t impossible that life would evolve similarity to us in such a huge universe at all.”

11. ZomBninjasamurai June 27, 2010 at 10:56 am -      #311

@Laharl

“I’m not talking about the match I am talking about accuracy which is something mass effect has for the most part.”

so?

“Mass effect is an accurate what if earth discovered this alien technology in the year 2147.”

do you have a time machine that proves this?

“Has this been covered in little over 300 posts?”

because it has no effect on this debate…

12. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 11:00 am -      #312

“Maybe, but I doubt there would be so many of them concentrated in a single galaxy.”
    Protheans are the ones that caused that along with the Asari that can breed with any race.
    The Protheans along with the reapers most likely triggered an extreme evolution across the galaxy that spawned similar,but different races.
    I would be asking why the humans never spotted them if I were you.

13. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 11:02 am -      #313

“because it has no effect on this debate…”
    Would you shut up?
    I just want to talk about it.
    That fine with you?

14. Cjrodarte June 27, 2010 at 11:25 am -      #314

let him speak.ZomBninjasamurai.

15. ZomBninjasamurai June 27, 2010 at 11:37 am -      #315

“let him speak.ZomBninjasamurai.”

16. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 11:44 am -      #316

“do you have a time machine that proves this?”
    Okay then let me alter it “Mass effect is an accurate what if earth discovered this alien technology in the year 2147 in an alternate reality that had similar races existing at the time.”

“let him speak.ZomBninjasamurai.”
    Thanks what I am trying to say is if everyone at least put their standards a little higher for sci-fi it would improve as a whole.
    One of the reason I’m not into Halo is they set it the standard to low for sci-fi yet became a huge success, yet mass effect won’t sell as nearly as well as it.

“because it has no effect on this debate…”
    It does greatly effect the debate if you played mass effect one the council held their actions greatly back for varies reasons.
    Both sides should have something like that, even though the council died mass effect still has a council.
    It may start with an alliance and end in a war,it may be be flimsy agreements that lead to war.
    You know the kind of stuff we have on earth here today,it wouldn’t just be pewpew boom boom from the start even if they are bloodlusted.
    Mass effect may get spies into halo’s side or Halo may get spies mass effect’s side during such things.
    You would be surprised how diplomatic things effect a war.

17. Jake logan June 27, 2010 at 11:46 am -      #317

There both as good as each other in different ways just depends if you want story [mass effect trilogy] or mad fights[halo trilogy]

18. tartarsauce June 27, 2010 at 11:48 am -      #318

“I am not preventing him, I am just saying that being realistic doesn’t mean it wins(usually makes things lose actually), I mean yes, we know Halo has little to no realism, but compared to other franchises so does Mass Effect…(always remember Star Wars is just a historical documentary)”

Damn right.
    Mant sci-fi’s are guilty of not being realistic.
    It’s fiction of course, so who the hell would care if it isn’t realistic ?

19. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 11:48 am -      #319

“I am just saying that being realistic doesn’t mean it wins”
    Please I know that you should know I know that I am into the fantasy genre more than sci-fi.
    As a general rule magic>technology.

20. Laharl June 27, 2010 at 11:53 am -      #320

“Just look at warhammer…yeah their future is way up there, but some of those things in there are crazy.”They have gods I think that is why some of the stuff is just crazy in wh40 seems more like a mix of sci-fi and fantasy and fantasy delusions.
    “It’s fiction of course”Fiction based on science it has to have some kind of standard based on now many things we see in sci-fi is possible,

21. tartarsauce June 27, 2010 at 11:58 am -      #321

Ohh, well I guess I have trouble seeing the difference between fantasy and fiction.
    I would simply put everything that isn’t possible as fantasy, I just thought fiction was the same.

22. unsc freak June 30, 2010 at 11:01 am -      #322

UNSC have over 2000 ships, mind you that each one has at least one MAC that deals 1.17 terattons and the trafalger class super carriers had 2 MACs and a super MAC which is 6,7 times more powerful than the standered MAC, just something to think about

23. orpheus12 June 30, 2010 at 11:11 am -      #323

We over went over this, save your breath.

24. chuckforest August 10, 2010 at 12:38 am -      #324

Well I think we know whose games were better…

25. renesaG August 10, 2010 at 12:57 am -      #325

I think halos better, but that may not be everyone elses opinion.

26. chuckforest August 10, 2010 at 1:10 am -      #326

Better story I mean

27. renesaG August 10, 2010 at 1:19 am -      #327

Still better in my opinion. I know tons of people will disagree with me.

28. chuckforest August 10, 2010 at 1:46 am -      #328

That’s probably because your a fanboy. Although at current incarnations Halo has shit with barely 200 million people left and most of the covies fleets pwned.

29. TheSorrow August 10, 2010 at 1:51 am -      #329

@chuckforest

So because renesaG likes Halo better than Mass Effect, it makes him a fanboy?

30. Didact August 10, 2010 at 1:53 am -      #330

Who cares if I’m a fine boy. Halos fanbase is much larger than mass effects. I’m mean come on if you ask a random person who master chief is they will most likely know. If you ask who commander shepard is they’ll be like “who the f$ck is commander shepard. Besides halo has sold far more copies than mass effect and don’t give me that video game sale don’t mean anything it means everything. It shows what people like more, so tough shit.

31. RenesaG August 10, 2010 at 1:56 am -      #331

Shit tried changing my name but it didn’t work out well and thanks the sorrow it people like chick that make everyone hate each other.

32. Siggymansz August 10, 2010 at 1:57 am -      #332

“So because renesaG likes Halo better than Mass Effect, it makes him a fanboy?”

Exactly!!!!!
    @Chuckforest

you called RenesaG a Fanboy therfore you are a Halo Hater
    (see doens’t feel so nice does it)

33. RenesaG August 10, 2010 at 1:59 am -      #333

Thank you for backing me up the sorrow and sigg it’s people like chuck that make everyone hate each other.

34. RenesaG August 10, 2010 at 2:00 am -      #334

Ugh double post I’m confusing my self

35. chuckforest August 10, 2010 at 2:10 am -      #335

Actually I love Halo and I was just reading another thread with Renesa in it and he/she was being a total halo fanboy.

36. Siggymansz August 10, 2010 at 2:23 am -      #336

“Actually I love Halo”
    Bullshit

37. chuckforest August 10, 2010 at 2:30 am -      #337

I do and im not entirely sure if there is a way to prove that on the internet.

38. RenesaG August 10, 2010 at 2:30 am -      #338

How was I being a fanboy?

39. chuckforest August 10, 2010 at 2:32 am -      #339

You weren’t here it seems I got mixed up on the threads so sorry.

40. Wraith1551 September 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm -      #340

Ok I understand Im very very late in this discussion, but I need to have a go at this!

Ok first off we need to understand the races invovled in each Universe.

Mass Effect: Humans, Turians, Asari, Salarians, Krogan, Geth, Quarians, Protheans, Reapers, Vorcha(ME2), Drell(ME2), Collecters(Transformed Protheans from ME2)… And theres alot more…

Halo: Humans, Elites, Brutes, Grunts, Jackels, Drones, Engineers, Hunters, Flood, and Forerunners(Includes Sentianels)

Basicly you can compare a race from Mass Effect to a race from Halo for the Most part (Human=Human, Turian=Elites, Krogan=Brutes, etc etc) And If the Halo Universe gets the Forerunners the Mass Effect Universe gets the Protheans.

As for weapons and Shields, I believe Mass Effect win in both catagories. KBs of Mass Effect make the UNSC’s Weapons Useless and the Armour of a standard UNSC Marine would easily get punctured by a Mass Accelerated round from Mass Effect. The Covenant would be a Problem for the ME universe but nothing they couldnt handle over time.

Now for the Super races of both Universes. Reapers and Protheans vs. Forerunners and Flood.

The Reapers would Exterminate both on there own easily! Massive 2km long ships that have KBs that can withstand the firepower of an entire Fleet and 5 Tenticle Beam Weapons as well as a Spinal Mounted Main gun, all capable of One-Shoting all asides from maybe MAYBE the Forerunner Dreadnought. Not to Meantion that there are Thousands of Reapers… The Flood could be an issue but not a serious one.

Im not trying to pick sides really… I love both Universes I just happen to Like Mass Effect alot more and There Tech is alot better…

41. nemoVonUtopia September 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm -      #341

Don’t forget the geth. Millions of floodproof soldiers.

42. IvanTih September 13, 2010 at 5:57 pm -      #342

Those kinetic barriers fail at kiloton shots while MAC delivers megatons to teratons of firepower(low end and high end).
    UNSC and Covenant have better weaponry,I don’t know about Reapers,but I don’t that superheated metal fired at fraction of light speed is that effective against Covenant,but I think that it could be effective against UNSC ships.
    I mean UNSC crusiers can take one plasma torpedo which is in gigaton to teraton range and survive while Mass Effect ships fight with high level kilotons weaponry or even megaton weaponry.

43. NemoVonUtopia September 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm -      #343

I don’t know how Cov. sheilds work, but a second long stream of fast metal would be very different than a projectile. I’m not saying that ME would win in space, but I think Reapers could take a sizeable chunk out of Halo fleets.

Do, Halo ships use much automate systems? Reapers may also be able to take controll of some vessles.

44. Wraith1551 September 14, 2010 at 12:57 am -      #344

The UNSC use AI’s and some Covy Vessals do as well. Im not sure if those count.

45. overlord September 14, 2010 at 4:25 pm -      #345

Is current incarnation in use? If not, Forerunners could solo and rape M.E.

46. NemoVonUtopia September 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm -      #346

EDI, partly based on Reaper tech, said that she can hack ships and mess with sheilds and life support because she can operate faster than any organic; Reapers and geth could simeraly hack ships.

If Cortana is the pinnicle of Halo AI, ME would win cyberwarfare. Cortana can develope for only 7 years; geth have advanced to the point of asking philosophical questions and rebelling, Reapers are most likly millions of years old and highly advanced.

47. Omega-88 September 15, 2010 at 12:09 pm -      #347

I have to admit Mass effect wins.

48. Wraith1551 September 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm -      #348

@Overload

You obviously have no idea how powerful ME Tech is compared to that of halo, a Mass Accelerated Peice of Metal would go right threw Covy Shields and go threw there armour with ease. The council races alone are enough to challenge that of the Forerunners and with the Geth and other Races theres no chance.Also the Reapers could “Solo” The entire Halo Universe.

49. Siggymanz September 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm -      #349

“Mass Accelerated Peice of Metal would go right threw Covy Shields and go threw there armour with ease”

a MAC is a 600 ton Slug of Metal…..going at .4c it takes 2 to get through covy shields

“while MAC delivers megatons to teratons of firepower(low end and high end).”

does the new ed of fall of reach (or halo reach) throw out the 1.117 teraton figure?

50. IvanTih September 15, 2010 at 2:37 pm -      #350

@Siggymanz
    To be honest I don’t know,some sources give lower speed while others give higher speed which gave us teraton calcs.

51. Yzan September 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm -      #351

i say the flood will own the organic races of M.E then the reapers own the halo races
    but if the flood takes over the organic races of M.E, the halo verse get all the ships and stuff in M.E to….
    so i don’t know

52. NemoVonUtopia September 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm -      #352

“can you name the fraction of c this piece of metal is going at? (for the ME side)”

1.3% the speed of light

Does anyone know how Cov shields work?

If the battle goes on for a while, ME may use more Cyclonic Barriers and Thanix cannons.

Do we know much about Halo’s fighter useage and capacity? Or if Javelins would be effective?

53. Wraith1551 September 16, 2010 at 12:58 am -      #353

Javelins maybe but Disruptor Torpedos would Destroy Covy Shields as thats what there built for. and both UNSC and Covy use Fighters often (Longswords, Seraphs) I think however ME Fights are more maunuverable, just a hunch though. As to the Amount they use Im not sure, Im going to guess alot though. Also for Covy shields, dont they open for a moment in order to fire there weapons? if so couldnt that be a weakness?

54. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 1:20 am -      #354

“1.3% the speed of light’

1.3% slower then 40%

“Halo cannon policy is that if the new source conflicts with the old then the new source is correct.”

I know thats why i asked as there (at the moment) only 2 things that are more canon then the book that give s 1.17 Teraton figures and they are

Halo: Reach the game….and Fall of Reach (the new edition)

do those books throw the Teratonnage out? or not?

55. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 1:23 am -      #355

“Does anyone know how Cov shields work?”

unknown however they can take both Plasma and nukes and a 600 ton Slug of Metal going at .4c Twice

(SMAC fire 3000 at (its one or the too……correct me if i’m wrong Ivan) .5c or .9c …covenant capital ships can’t even take one of these beasts)

56. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 1:28 am -      #356

as for the debate……….I feel as if we shouldn’t debate reapers just yet as they are 2 unknown…………..(although speculation puts them on par with star wars ships……..then agian its speculation)

also the UNSC only have like 200 million total population and 100 ships MAX
    (i’m thinkin its more around 50)

although even with those numbers the UNSC still steamroll over the council races lol

not even geting into the Covenant who steamroll over the UNSC, what does that tell you?

I think we should wait for ME 3 so we can get more info on the reapers
    ($10 the reapers turn out to shit all over halo……) before we declare a winner

57. Wraith1551 September 16, 2010 at 9:15 am -      #357

Your so wrong on so many levels. With the exception of the MAC and SMAC Most UNSC Weapons Would just bounce right of Mass Effect KBs. And the Armour of a UNSC Marine is only slightly better then what are troops wear today, so Mass Effects Weapons would rape UNSC. Hell the Humans in ME could handle the Humans in Halo by themselves. If what you say is true that the UNSC only have roughly 50-100 ships then the Humans Systems Alliance beats them in numbers with a fleet of over 200. Now I read somewhere that only 3% of humans volenteer for the Military in Mass Effect and I dont know the Humans total population so Im not sure how many foot troops they got, It shouls be the same atleast as the UNSC but most likely more.

58. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 9:26 am -      #358

……….MAC = 1.17 teratons

ME (council races) dreadnaught fire (stated figure) max 30 kilotons (speculative figure) max 300 kilotons

there are at most 50 dreadnaughts, its stated that only other dreadnaughts can take out dreadnaughts

by ME standards every UNSC ship is a Dreadnaught (both in Size and Firepower)

UNSC would not need to engage in Ground warfare (where they are SHIT!!) when they control the space lanes

+ it is unlikely for the Council races to amass all ther space forces to confront this thretaty what with all the red tape and pirates and such

(however if we were to apply Vs Debate rules then those would be a nonfactor inwhich case)

the UNSC could just take over a system and camp the Mass Relays while the council races warp in to their dooms

hell given enough time the UNSC could just build SMACs to orbit around the Mass relays

59. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 9:29 am -      #359

“Humans Systems Alliance beats them in numbers with a fleet of over 200.’

5 of which are dreadnaughts i.e the only ships that can feasibly take on UNSC ships 1 on 1

judging from the firepower of the smaller Systems alliance ships i would wager anything between 3-7 on 1 odds for victory (7 being low end 3 being high end)

60. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 9:33 am -      #360

“Most UNSC Weapons Would just bounce right of Mass Effect KBs”

are you sure archer missiles wouldn’t just explode on the KB, Like every other explosive i have ever seen in ME do on a KB…..

not to mention Archer barrages are fired in the 100s at a time, Good luck with the Macross Missile Spam ME

61. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 9:43 am -      #361

“Javelins maybe but Disruptor Torpedos would Destroy Covy Shields as thats what there built for.”

they were built to desrupt plasma technobabble stuff? I don’t think so

Got any proof? (maybe if you ask nice I’ll let ya have the “strip shields” stuff)

“I think however ME Fights are more maunuverable”

a Longsword outran the First Halo exploding thats gotta be at least 6,000G accel right there…….

“As to the Amount they use Im not sure”

“if so couldnt that be a weakness?”

Your proposing the ME ships time there shot so that it hits exactly where they fire there Plasma torps at the exact time they are firing AND Punch through said Plasma torp (megatons if not gigatons of firepower) then Proceed to hit the Hull?

Good Luck with that.

62. Cargo September 16, 2010 at 9:51 am -      #362

“Apparently (as in, I heard from someone, i.e it might not be true) the PoA had 8 longswords……………………can anyone Confirm?”

To break up the quad-post…

I believe one squadron of Longswords, although how many are in one squadron is never stated.

63. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 9:54 am -      #363

“To break up the quad-post…”

YOU BROKE MY STREAK!!!!! I WAS AIMING FOR 16!!! (breaking my previous record of 15…or the entire recent comments list)

“I believe one squadron of Longswords”

great……Thanks alot Bungie!!! REAL DESCRIPTIVE OF YOU!!

64. Cargo September 16, 2010 at 10:17 am -      #364

Just rewatched the opening cutscene of Halo: CE and it shows 5 Longswords escorting the POA. HOWEVER, Halo: Reach’s amazing retcon lulz shows no Longsword escorts.

65. Lowk September 16, 2010 at 10:21 am -      #365

Reapers, geth, and A.I. like EDI have the ability to engage in cyber warfare. Would the A.I. in halo be able to defend their systems from being hacked into?

66. Siggymansz September 16, 2010 at 10:47 am -      #366

“Would the A.I. in halo be able to defend their systems from being hacked into?”

Yes, Easy

Discounting Reapers because we don’t have any shit on them.

Council races use V.Is which arn’t A.Is no matter how much you want them to be

they are mearly a set5 of programs that have parameters to do a limited amount of things when an equally limited amount of other things happend….A.Is of the haloverse have no such limitation

and for all intents and porpuses (get it) are humans living in a computer that are now Super smart nad live only 7 years because they have so much information

(hell UNSC mapo and recreate Human brains to be the A.I, or someshit)

67. NemoVonUtopia September 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm -      #367

ME AI is far more advanced, if illegal.

EDI is a quantom blue box AI, sorta like Cortana but whith out the lifespan and most likely more powerful.

Reapers are an entire race of AI beyond EDI and the geth and human comprehention.

In space battle, the Alliance and geth would be cannonfodder but may overhwelm a few Halo ships. The Reapers and Collectors would be the real threat, but we don’t know much on their defences.

Disruptors cause instable mass feilds that rip apart whatever they hit, and increase mass.

68. jwlynas September 16, 2010 at 7:54 pm -      #368

Mass Effect wins on the ground

Halo wins in Space.

When it comes to super weapons, the Halo rings kill everything but the Geth. Geth live on forever in an empty universe. Happy days!

69. NemoVonUtopia September 16, 2010 at 8:03 pm -      #369

Don’t forget the Reapers!

I bet when the Reapers find the halos they would be like “I wish we thought of this 500,000 years ago”

70. Siggymansz September 17, 2010 at 12:18 am -      #370

“ME AI is far more advanced, if illegal.”

Exactly, the only people to have true A.Is are the reapers(and cerebrus, and a couple of programmers) and i really don’t want to debate them until ME 3 or until we get more info on them

(although given the numbers getting thrown around i’m willing to bet on the Reapers winning the fight for ME)

“and most likely more powerful”

I doubt you could prove that

although ME A.Is are better (no lifespans) none of the council races use them (so its CIS)

“Geth are advanced enough to become philosophical and there are multi-million geth in program form, all of which could combine and hack.”

are not even true A.Is and get dumber the fewer are around……….also they are not part of the council races lol

they are part of the debate (halo vs ME) but not part of the Meta debate (UNSC vs Council races)

as for a solution for the whole (3 million geth)…uhh covenant?

71. Siggymansz September 17, 2010 at 12:25 am -      #371

“Halo: Reach’s amazing retcon lulz shows no Longsword escorts.”

does that mean the PoA doesn’t get longsword escorts? (pretty sure it does, but i’m asking for clarification)

DAMN YOU REACH!!!!!!!!

72. Newtad September 18, 2010 at 3:14 am -      #372

Firstly, The Flood are the fools no one screws with. Biotics or Tech… Im pretty sure a Krogan would be overwhelmed in seconds… an Asari couldnt even use her mind to throw in that many different ways. The flood whom would possess Asari’s henceforth gain Biotics and become even stronger 0.o secondly, No one is taking into account for Tank warfare. A Wraith’s main shell is capable of melting Titanium. It eats through metal like nothing. Not saying that shields would be useless just they wouldnt last long enough to break it down. Then there is a Spartan who against A Turian could maybe win. Anyone else and hes lost. Heroes: 343 Guilty Spark vs Shepard… Uhhh I think its clear. Thirdly, The Halo universe has one last move. The Ark. All it takes is for Keyes or Johnson or Chief to press the magic button and everybodies worries are gone. And for those of you who are reading this and saying that this is bullsh*t, read Ghosts of Onyx and you will know that there is a platoon of Class 3 spartans. Halsley and Mendez. So In reality if it came to last chance winner is Halo. Lastly, Whoever said Tech is useless… Elites/Spartan/Brute have Radar and have some nifty tricks of there own that make them a powerful threat… one of which is the EMP ball which drains shields and damages electronics… that takes out a tech version of shepard. A cloak and grav hammer could take out a biotic shepard.

=Side note=

DONT CALL ME A FANBOY CAUSE I HAVE READ ALL THE BOOKS AND PLAYED BOTH GAMES AND HAVE ALL ACHIEVEMENTS.

So no favourites just cold hard facts.

73. Newtad September 18, 2010 at 3:18 am -      #373

@JWLNYAS

The rings destroy sentient life… meaning ones that can think for themselves

74. OriginalA September 18, 2010 at 3:26 am -      #374

The Rings are also shown to not affect AI… like the Geth that Jwlynas mentioned. If they did then Guilty Spark could not have lived through it. It is clear that he did live through the firing of the Rings.

Additionally there is the fact that the Rings target biomass, which the Geth lack… much like 343. Are you seeing the similarities here? The Rings cannot damage inorganic sentiant targets like AI constructs. AI is, for lack of a better term, just a computer program. You can’t physically damage software with a weapon that is designed to target “hardware”, and on top of that it targets the wrong type of “hardware”.

The Rings destroy sentiant organic beings, not inorganic, artificial beings. The Geth, and probably the Reapers too, would live through a Halo Array firing sequence due to being made up of materials that are not within the targeting parameters of the Halos.

75. Newtad September 18, 2010 at 4:12 am -      #375

When the rings fire they self destruct and its a chain reaction, so 343 has never survived a ring explosion aside from when Chief overloaded the ark and blew apart the 1st ring but Cortona states that it is meant to kill all sentient beings, I know that some geth require organic parts. If it has organic parts its an organic. Sparky himself states that if his construct were destroyed via activation that he himself would be destroyed.

76. OriginalA September 18, 2010 at 4:48 am -      #376

1) Its ment to target the food source of the Flood; organic sentiant beings. Not inorganic ones.

2) The Rings don’t self destruct during activation. To quote Guilty Spark: “this instilation has preformed [several thousand] simulated firings and one actual.” Instillation 04, Guilty Spark’s Instillation, FIRED several thousand years ago and was still around for Master Chief to land on it and for the events of Halo: CE to occure. According to you the Halos blow up when they are fired so it could not possibly be there.

Then there is this at 8:06… which is the Halos firing and not blowing themselves up.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8-ACsTxKE&feature=related

3) Guilty Spark makes an explicet note during Halo 3 that the new 04 Ring was NOT complete and was NOT ready to fire for several more days at least. The Ring was incomplete, unstable, and on the whole, not ready to be activated. John activated it anyways. Heck you can even see that it is still mostly inside the Ark during the time of activation; a place where it is ment to be being built, not fired. The Ring misfired and subsequently blew everything up. It wasn’t ready for it and it tore itself and the Ark apart because it wasn’t structurally sound because of its incomplete construction.

4) The Forerunners left behind robots to release the specimens they collected to repopulate the galaxy. If the Halo’s targeted the AIs then those robots would not be able to complete their mission because they would have been destroyed too.

5) The Geth do not require organic parts. They are computer data in their normal form. Their bodies (platforms) are purely mechanical in nature. Your probably thinking of the Reapers who do use some liquid organic-metalic compound for construction; it is not known exactly how much of them is organic and whether or not the total removal of that part of them would kill them, or even if the Halo’s would target them as it is able to distiguish between “inteligent” organic materail and “dumb” organic materail, and frankly I doubt that a liquid biometal that severs as the body for a computer brain would be considered inteligent.

77. Newtad September 18, 2010 at 5:34 am -      #377

0.o i just realized that there are no limitations… well really… even if the rings missed the geth Im sure a couple of spartans could take them out ^,^ but thank you good sir for correcting me and making me feel like a complete and total dumb@$$ :D I do think that ME has a bit of unfair advantage because much of their technology is built off that of those before them while the UNSC designed and constructed their own… But… thats i guess how the cookie crumbles… now if you dont mind I am really hungry so Email me who wins :D

78. cyborg pirate ninja jesus September 18, 2010 at 5:48 am -      #378

“even if the rings missed the geth Im sure a couple of spartans could take them out”

umm u know what the geth are right?

79. alfieboi13 September 18, 2010 at 5:59 am -      #379

Here’s a link in case you don’t know what the Geth are:

masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Geth

80. Newtad September 18, 2010 at 6:40 am -      #380

WTF?! I know what geth are… Sweet jeez had you of read my other post you would know that I most definately know what they are. They are machines developed by the quarians that rebelled and are now an independent species being left into two factions the heretics and Legion’s geth. If Shepard chose the Renegade option for legions loyalty you blow apart the geth weakening them further or you unite via paragon and make Legion stronger :D so dont talk to me about what i do and dont know. Are you sur you know what a spartan is? Yeah you dont like it… thats rude but Im not gonna be ethical just saying a spartan laser is the same a reaper main weapon and they had one before they went into the shield world and rockets and shiva tac nukes and everyother possible thing. And it takes so much for a spartan to be overwhelmed. Next time dont go asking people if they know what a geth is. >.

81. cyborg pirate ninja jesus September 18, 2010 at 6:44 am -      #381

lol just wondering because you said that a couple of spartans could take on an entire race of robots which have superior weaponry, and some also have better shields

82. NemoVonUtopia September 18, 2010 at 10:14 am -      #382

@Newtad

In your hero matchup, I think it would have been better to have Shepard vs Cheif or Arby and have Legion v Guilty Spark.

Husks are kinda like the flood and biotics and tech is very effective, in a battle vs the flood, I think ME would do slightly better than the Halo people did but may still lose.

As for tanks, the ME tanks we see:
    Hammerhead- 120km per hour hovering selfrepairing thank that shoots one missile per second.
    Mako-155mm mass accelerator cannon and KBs.

I don’t know much of Halo tanks but I believe that there is a thread on that.

83. Wraith1551 September 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm -      #383

Bah… ok here it is Halo gets screwed over so BAD!

Firing the rings is an illogical move for the Halo race and even if they did fire the two more menacing races from ME (Reapers and Geth) would survive. meaning Mass Effect victory.

It almost saddens me that a 5-6km long Assault Carriers of the Covenant would still be taken down by a 2km long Reapers, and before any of you Halo fan-terds say anything. NO I do not have proof. This is an assumption based on the facted Sovereigns main cannon could probably go through 2 maybe 3 Alliance Dreadnoughts, but seeing as Sovereign never fired his main weapon in the battle of the Citadel I cant confirm.

On the ground, Nemo gots it. The Scorpion only has a 90mm Main cannon as the mako has a 155mm… Also Mako is faster and has KB fields.

84. alfieboi13 September 18, 2010 at 12:58 pm -      #384

This fight has gone from a mass effect win to a halo win and now back to a mass effect win. I have always thought mass effect would win but the fanboys don’t let you speak without saying pointless stuff!

85. OriginalA September 18, 2010 at 1:10 pm -      #385

I’m still thinking it will be a Halo win.

Their spaceship weapons are known and fairly potent. A single shot from a MAC is going to be equivical to several volleys from mutliple ME ships. That is the differance between double digit kiloton weapons compared to singile digit teraton weapons.

Basically the Reapers are the ONLY space craft that ME has available to them that has any chance of actually causing significant harm to any major Halo capital ship without resorting to massive swarm tactics, and I imagin that the Reapers are going to get a major power-down in ME3 in order to allow the good guys to beat them… or some lame deus ex machina, but that would suck.

86. Siggymansz September 18, 2010 at 6:40 pm -      #386

Mass Effect wins on the ground…………………which doesn’t help them a whole lot when the Enemy is space faring

The UNSC (what stage of power are the UNSC, after the war?, Before the War?)

before the war the UNSC could steamroll over the Council races with sheer industrial might

after the war its going to be really hard seeing as they only got 100 or so ships but i reckon if they played it smart and used their non-fixed FTL it could work
    (yes i know ME has non-fixed FTL also……2 bad it sucks)

as for the geth, The covenant can take them (is the covenant pre schism?)

Why? Covenant sheilds can take 2 MAC shots (1 for the smaller/est Ships)
    that puts their sheilds in the TT range……….i can’t really See the Geth winning the Fleet engagments with kiloton level weapons

(not to mention 30 Kilotons on the main gun is considerd to be really really fuckin beastly in ME and only Dreadnaughts have double digit Kiloton weapons, tho i spose the Geth might be more high tech)

as for the reapers…….

Well we hardly know anything about them side from 2 events

1. Sovereign attacked the Citidel………….with the Geth

2. a Reaper was taken out by a really really big Mass Accelerator Cannon

*Insert half decent closing statement*

87. alfieboi13 September 19, 2010 at 4:34 am -      #387

‘as for the reapers…….’

Mabye this fight might be better when Mass Effect 3 comes out.

88. OriginalA September 19, 2010 at 4:49 am -      #388

“I remember a post by OriginalA that put Soverigns shields in the double digit teraton levels (however in the post he said this was with 7-8 assumptions, so yeah)”

89. Siggymansz September 19, 2010 at 5:13 am -      #389

“Said post was also heavily slanted in Sovereign’s favor to better calculate a max yeild strength. It is more likely that his shields were at most half the final number in that post. If not that strong then even less powerful.”

yes but its a benchmark no?

if Soverign is a normal run of the mill reaper, then their shields would be in the double digit teraton level or at least single digit …….

now all we need is to asses the weapon strength and we can get a picture on weather(get it) the reapers can turn the fight around

Do we have a number on the poplation of the Reapers?

90. Cargo September 19, 2010 at 5:17 am -      #390

“Do we have a number on the poplation of the Reapers?”

At the end of ME2 we see Reapers reactivating and heading towards the Milky Way. A screenshot. shows at least 295 Reapers. Whether this is all of them is unknown.

Screenshot:

images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100206110822/masseffect/images/6/69/Reaper_fleet.png

91. Siggymansz September 19, 2010 at 5:36 am -      #391

“shows at least 295 Reapers”

right………………….if thats all of them I feel sorry for Mass Effect
    (granted 295 ships on par with star wars ships can do alot of damage to halo, But its just too few and they will end up being crushed by numbers)

92. cyborg pirate ninja jesus September 19, 2010 at 5:42 am -      #392

i just hope that reapers get enough of a power boost in me3 to neutralise all of halos spacecraft. just so ME can get on with a ground warfare roflstomp

93. OriginalA September 19, 2010 at 6:09 am -      #393

94. Siggymansz September 19, 2010 at 6:20 am -      #394

“More likely the Reapers will get a huge nerf so the Alliance can actually kill them in mass instead of fleet vs 1 odds and barely coming out of it alive.”

Or the council races (Read: Humans) will get a huge Buff to help combat the reaper threat

(or it will take the third option and the reapers win)

95. OriginalA September 19, 2010 at 6:31 am -      #395

Somehow I doubt we are going to see a jump of several orders of magnatude in firepower galaxy wide for the Alliance.

Honestly I’m expecting the fourth option (Big Lipped Alligator Moment / Deus Ex Machina) that exiles the Reapers from the Galaxy.

I suppose Bioware could do something interesting and have Shepard die (and not come back; freaken Jesus poser) for the sake of keeping the Reapers from Roflstomping everyone but have them hang around to still be a threat.

Bioware has some good writers on their staff, but heck if I know how they are going to write the third game and, have the good guys win, not make the Reapers look like a bunch of pushovers, and not rely on some goofy mcguffin that magically solves their Reaper problem. But if they do come up with something that follows that criteria, I’m sure it will be sweet.

I wouldn’t mind the Reapers winnig except I want more games set in MEverse with the races and most of the faces that we know. I want more Tali! I’m a Talimancer, damnit. A Kasumi is fine too.

96. Cargo September 19, 2010 at 6:35 am -      #396

I wonder what of the roles of Cerberus and Liara (*Spoiler* The new Shadow Broker) will be be in ME3. That and what they’ll come up with to deal with the Reapers.

And I want every squadmate back.

97. OriginalA September 19, 2010 at 6:45 am -      #397

Dang, you hit me with a Spoiler. But that is okay. I’m not too concered about DLC spoilers. So Liara is the new Shadow Broker huh? I’ve always liked information brokers. They struck me as a kind of high-profile spy with no allegence.

Great, now you got me wanting to read some Mass Effect book or fanfic, but I don’t have the books and read the best FF I could find (it was titled Reclamation in case you care. It was great because the characters were written well). Nor do I have my copy of ME2 around as my brother is borrowing that and probably hasn’t even started to play it yet.

Curse you Cargo!! I was just now getting back into the Honor Harrington books and now I’m in the mood for Mass Effect. Do you know how hard it is to try to keep the suspension of disbelief active when you keep switching between a hard and soft (comparatively to each other anyways) sci-fi series?

98. alfieboi13 September 19, 2010 at 6:46 am -      #398

Mabye the Reapers might become so powerful they could beat halo single-handedly.

Then mabye the good guys might get some really powerful tech and mabye able to beat star wars. lol, joke.

99. Cargo September 19, 2010 at 6:54 am -      #399

Happy to help.

At any rate, I think BLASTO THE HANAR SPECTRE should be recruitable.

100. OriginalA September 19, 2010 at 7:20 am -      #400

He would be overpowered. He could solo all of the Reap— I know how ME 3 is going to end now. The Reaper Fleet is going to close in on Earth and then Blasto is going to drop out of FTL (he doesn’t use a starship, he just accelerates himself beyond lightspeed. He doesn’t even use Eezo) and shoot the Reapers with all of his pistols and they all insta-asplode. Then he goes down, says that Shepard is a pretty cool guy and doesn’t afraid of anything, then grabs Tali, Kasumi, Miranda, and Ashley, and then he FTLs them all out of there back to his house where they meet up with the volus biotic god and have some good times.

1 2 3 4 5 6 67

Modern Gaming

Sad but true.

Curiosity Rover Spotted by Mars Orbiter on Mount Sharp

Humanity is the invading alien now...