StarCraft Vs Warhammer 40K

StarCraft Vs Warhammer 40K

I think the best way to describe this match is very much like when you hear a a great song that you like. As you listen to it and learn more, you realize that there was an original version of the song performed by an artist and most times, the original is the better version of the song. I’d have to say this is the same with me for StarCraft. I started playing WAY back in 1999 and only afterwards did I start to learn more about Warhammer.

So, I’d have to say that SC introduced me to Warhammer 40K, but for a head to head match, it’s really not much of a fight…

…What do you think?

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace
  • Google Buzz
  • Reddit
  • Stumnleupon
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Technorati
Author: admin View all posts by
« Previous 1 2

161 Comments on "StarCraft Vs Warhammer 40K"

1. Sauroposeidon July 15, 2011 at 2:39 am -      #101

If you think it’s not from Battletech, what do you think it is from?

Isn’t Defiant pretty much the flagship of DS9? The only thing that could rival it are the enterprise ships, mainly the D.

As for non-humanoid mecha, two good sources for those are..

Every single Mobile Armor from Gundam

Every single Arms Fort from Armored Core for Answer

Virtually every single Chrome Hound

Almost every single Zoid

The titular Einhander, along with the majority of it’s enemy mecha, only a handful of which are actually humanoid.

Mecha range as much in shape and design as ships do.

2. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 5:33 am -      #102

It’s from Mechwarrior, I loved those games.

And it’s just a heavily armed warship.

Don’t you think there is a little more variety?
    www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/ee/DeathStar2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star&usg=__8NjwgPFcIzfq4ZiOIbZLqsnMZsQ=&h=758&w=758&sz=203&hl=en&start=1&sig2=LcNMiBU0dguvJFbLZ2O–g&zoom=1&tbnid=Nmn4vtnQ_lToUM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=142&ei=CwkgTvydFePj0QGOs7ykAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddeath%2Bstar%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D709%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.deviantart.com/download/82219379/Eldar_Void_Stalker_by_The_First_Magelord.png&imgrefurl=http://the-first-magelord.deviantart.com/art/Eldar-Void-Stalker-82219379%3Foffset%3D20&usg=__r74eG8ykmmC9dMQYEOy3z5yWYns=&h=938&w=1500&sz=808&hl=en&start=1&sig2=Hp4bOC4C6JZ2oNrD_O3bSQ&zoom=1&tbnid=jGJvz8smKHwB9M:&tbnh=94&tbnw=150&ei=MAkgTs7OH7S50AHp7rXOAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DEldar%2Bvoid%2Bstalker%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D709%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

3. Illkhan July 15, 2011 at 9:19 am -      #103

“It’s from Mechwarrior, I loved those games.”

Ummmm. Chuck, Mechwarrior is the video game version of the battletech tabletop/books. Same universe, just a different name for the video game.

4. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 9:33 am -      #104

@Illkhan SHHHH!!!

5. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 9:40 am -      #105

I think I’m going to refrain from posting when I am this tired…

After 10 minutes of thinking I remembered the franchise I was thinking of that looked like Gundam, Robotech. Anyhow, goodbye until I get some sleep!

6. Sauroposeidon July 15, 2011 at 10:39 am -      #106

I’ll let the Timber Wolf bit slide.

Sure, there’s variation in star ships, but there is in Mecha as well.

www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/f91/xma-01-open.jpg

Yes, that’s from Gundam

www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/ma-04x.jpg

So is this abomination from hell.

www.mahq.net/mecha/dragonsheaven/dh-manga/daqure.jpg

Dragon’s Heaven is.. interesting.

www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/z/rmv-1.jpg

Oh look, another Gundam mecha.

www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msigloo2/rtx-440-attack.jpg

From the same line as the one directly above it.

lh3.ggpht.com/_FJdaHqWnzOE/Sl1LRjufxxI/AAAAAAAAALk/xk7agHDvVZQ/chrome_hounds%255B4%255D.jpg

Another tank mech, from Chrome Hounds this time.

bestgamewallpapers.com/files/armored-core-for-answer/answerer.jpg

Of course you should be familiar with this mecha.

www.mahq.net/mecha/srw/og1/agx-01.jpg

A low end grunt from Super Robot Wars

www.mahq.net/mecha/srw/srw2/agx-05.jpg

A super robot from the same series.. doesn’t strike me as something you’d find in Gundam..

www.mahq.net/mecha/srw/og1/ptx-003c.jpg

Another humanoid robot from the same series.. odd how none look even remotely similar..

There’s a lot of variation in Mecha, as they can take virtually any shape or size. Literally the only thing that defines a Mecha AS a Mecha is if they are called a Mecha. Humanoid tends to be the most common shape. Just as star fighters tend to be narrower up front and fatter in the back, and many larger vessels take this shape as well.

7. Sauroposeidon July 15, 2011 at 10:46 am -      #107

To clarify my point, since I failed to make it. There’s no way to tell to begin with. With out prior knowledge mecha vary so massively with in their own franchises that picking which ones belong to which are difficult. A Whale King and the Bio-Zoids have none of the trademark features of Zoids and might as well be Power Ranger villain mecha. You could easily like up all of the traditional saucer vessels and say “Hey they look the same” or all of the traditional fighter vehicles and say the same thing while ignoring that they do have large variations from each other’s universes and even quite a great deal of diversity in their own universe..which was the point of my Falcon/Defiant post.

8. Paramedic July 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm -      #108

@Chuck,

The proof is, that is happens. Game mechanics or not IT’S ALL GAME MECHANICS. It’s not exactly like we’re dealing with real life here. Yes Ghosts may not be able to fire into high orbit, but they can certainly disable titans.

I find it rediculous that, using Chuck for example, can argue Space Marine eat bolter shells for breakfast, yet I mention a spec ops soldier having an ability, and it’s absurd. I find it hypocritical that he can argue his point of view in the same manner that I am, yet I get called a fanboy. I find it iornic and hypocritical that anyone who has opinions or observations different than that of WH40K is a fanboy, n00b, or ‘must be joking’. I find it strange that people get ‘tiffed’ towards one another for arguing on a debate site. LoL.
    I also find it funny, that when dealing with WH40K what it’s fans says should just be taken as fact and lay down to give up. “SM eat bolter shells for breakfast” so I am suppost to lay down my weapon and give up the fight? No, I debate my point of view, but people call me wrong for it.

Also, no Zazax, I have read all of the books and there is never and account of a Ghost using the lockdown ability, but, the campaign is a story and log of how the terrans, zerg, and protoss overcame these obstacles and indeed the entire story. Does that mean the confederacy enver fell b/c it happened over game mechanics? Does that mean Kerrigan was never infested because it first happened over game mechanics? Arguing whether something is valid or not b/c of game mechanics is simply absurd, they are both games, does that make both universes invalid? I am not looking for an answer to any of these, just that people who read it, think about it.

Whoever said terran marines can run accross km’s is just plain stupid, and that has nothing to do with game mechanics, I’ve never even heard of that, if you’re going to try to explain yourself, please do it with a good example.

9. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm -      #109

@Paramedic If you don’t have a quote from a book, or a video, or even a mention snywhere in canon then you don’t have an argument.

Because I can prove that they do in fact, tank bolter shells (not literally eat them).

You are being called a fanboy because you A. Aren’t providing any proof. B. Whining about someone calling you out on your “argument”.

10. Paramedic July 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm -      #110

First off, you haven’t called me out on shit. Secondly, I am not whining about anything, let alone being “called out” on something I haven’t been called out on. Thirdly, you haven’t listed a damn thing as to where your sources are so think for a second you can bitch at me. Fourth, WHY for any reason would I want to lie to you about anything? My shit is legit, it’s not my fault Blizzard has even worse writiers than Bungie. Sure HALO is nerfed out the ass but at least all their sources are readily available. Have you read any of the SC books at all Chuck? lol It’s a modified form of AVP.

Speaking of AVP, that’s who I think StarCraft originally ‘oriented’ their material from, not WH40K.
    And Chuck, no I wasn’t whining or yelling, I was actually quite calm when I wrote those and wanted serious answers. I am not trying to be an “OMGUB3R FANBOY!!!!1!” or anything of the sorts. my questions are legit, my knowledge is legit, my sources blow though, so I completely understand where you’re coming from. However, anytime anyone makes an arguement to or fro StarCraft, it HAS to be game mechanics because Blizzard was stupid enough to limit the amount of information elsewhere.

I am not trying to be a pain in the ass, but can you understand where I am coming form? THAT is why I asked why game mechanics don’t count.

Examples:
    Spartan abilities are seen throughout cutscenes, novels, short stories, and titanium A might be a shitty alloy compared to adamantium, but at least it’s listed.

Ghost abilities are so shit-strewn that no one knows truly what they all are, no one knows the penetration of a C10 sniper shot, no one even knows what the types and strengths of neosteel is.

UNSC and Imperium ship traits are well known, they both are bigger than hell and the stats are readily available.

Terran Battlecruisers traits are as follows; x amount of minerals, x amount of gas, x amount of HP and x amount of damage. LOL There aint shit there to work with.

But, Chuck, I feel like we got off on the wrong foot, I am not questioning YOU or your expertise on the matter, I just have legit questions that no one can seem to answer.

“So until you have some proof instead of yelling “Game mechanics are canon!1!!!!11″ then we don’t have a debate.”

That statement was the closest thing I’ve got to a real answer, but it still gives me 0% information on why game mechanics aren’t canon. SC information is only in the game lol. Literally.
    Anyone whose ever read any SC books knows that it’s mainly just shooter action novels and nothing more. So, I am sorry if I’ve pissed you off, I don’t blame you, but can you understand where I am coming from now in me asking those questions?

11. Galorian July 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm -      #111

Terran marines have auto-targeting systems, allowing them to hit targets at ridiculous ranges. In one of the SC books a bunch of marines were shooting at and hitting an airborne target hovering 20 leagues above them (been a while, so I might’ve gotten the numbers wrong, but the scale should be about right).

A Terran marine holding his fire ’till the enemy is in “see the white of their eyes” distance will open fire when the target is a km away.

When determining the effectiveness of Terran marines against WH40k ground forces it is important to remember that their power armor can tank sustained fire from that rifle at most ranges.

I’m not sure how Terran power armor would stand up to lasgun fire, but Terran marines are definitely above basic grunt level for most WH40K races, in terms of individual capabilities IG guardsmen simply do not compare.

Keeping all that in mind I’d like to point out that a Protoss Zealot’s shield can tank whole magazines of C-14 fire, placing their minimum damage capacity either at above 40 mJ (160 kJ per spike 250 spikes per magazine) or above 330 mJ (660 kJ per spike 500 spikes per magazine). Coupled with insane physical skills, psi-blades and the ability to momentarily turn their bodies into energy to “flash step” into melee range make these guys formidable even by WH40K standards.

Of course all of this means little in a universe match where WH40K utterly roflstomps in space, and even WH40K armies who’s soldiers are outclassed by those of the SC factions would still stomp SC on the ground through numbers alone.

And then there’s the Necrons…

Honorary mention for SC’s FTL drives which vastly outclass those of any WH40K race save the Necrons.

12. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm -      #112

@Paramedic we did get off on the wrong foot, so lets try again.

First on gameplay mechanics. If it comes from in game as in you are controlling the units then we can’t use it. However if it comes from cutscenes or dialogue then it is usable.

Second if you ask me to prove anything I said then I shall.

Well 40k in some areas is based off Alien, and then a dude left the Warhammer team to go and help make Starcraft.

Yes I understand what your saying, sometimes there isn’t any real info on the subject. However if you find anything on it then we can use it.

13. Sauroposeidon July 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm -      #113

Sorry chuck but if it’s an ability they have then it’s clearly part of their gear. The issue is more along the lines of how it’s administered.

If this is it..

starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/E-11_lockdown_device

Then it’s some kind of low velocity projectile which shoots out some kind of EMP effect to fry all the circuits and crap once it’s landed on the target.

See how hard that was, Para? You see how little effort that took me? Instead of whining at typical 40k LOL methods just go fetch some information.

The question now is:

Does X vehicle display EMP protection? If no, then it gets effected. If this device locks down vehicles which can also operate in space then whatever it does has a greater EMP effect than the activities of some stars.. but that’s assuming Starcraft vehicles don’t go down from stars playing Troll on them. So simply being something that can operate in space, around stars, ect does not count.

Sadly, Chuck, game mechanics still isn’t an argument. It has to clearly be typical GM BS, like walls the devs don’t want you going past being indestructible to your black hole tri-rocket minigun of doom or whatever weird weapons a particular video game is handing out. Otherwise the argument doesn’t fly. You need to look for clues, instead of looking for it solely outside of game operation. Falling back on the old “It doesn’t count cause we haven’t seen it used outside of the game!” argument solely to avoid having to deal with a piece of equipment you don’t like is really under handed.

Here’s what is likely a game mechanic.

The vehicle is locked down for 1 minute? If you lock down a vehicle’s electronics, they’re dead for forever. You need to replace the burned out wiring. Whatever gets hit by the Lockdown should STAY down. That’s how this stuff works in the real world and unless these vehicles self repair and manifest new wiring on the go to deal with this, they aren’t getting back up after a minute to keep fighting.

So

A. If it effects large vehicles then yes, it will effect Titans.

B. Armor and Size mean fairly little to EMP weapons.

C. The projectile is going slow enough to not destroy itself on target if it’s a solid device which shocks the target, which means it’ll go through void shields.

and the final question.

Do Void Shields ever display the ability to stop an EMP attack to begin with?

If no, then this weapon locks down Titans. If yes, then this weapon,if it fires some kind of pulse or beam instead of a projectile, does not.

You’re being as bad as Paramedic here, to a degree, Chuck. It’s not that hard to figure out if something will effect it or not. Para’s played the game so he knows if it’s a physical projectile or an energy shot of some kind, so this should make figuring out the nature of the weapon even easier.

14. Illkhan July 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm -      #114

@Paramedic

Game mechanics are not usable because they’re just for the game and make no effort to be realistic. For example, in Dawn of War(40k RTS) an imperial guard trooper can tank multiple lascannon blasts. This is patently ridiculous, so we can’t use that as a feat. It makes debating video game only IP’s a headache because you can only talk in generalities.

However, in this case it’s kind of irrelevant anyways. The Tyranids alone outnumber every SC race like a billion to one, so SC never really had even the remotest chance of winning this in the first place. Any single faction in 40k could solo SC easily, except maybe those Tau pussies. Don’t take the responses too seriously, people on the internet tend to call you a retard and ask questions later…if at all.

15. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm -      #115

@Sauro except no.

I would say more but really, that is all that needs to be said.

16. itcheyness July 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm -      #116

If Starcraft were expanded from a small sector to an entire galaxy they might have a shot, but as it stands the 40K forces could fight unarmed and their corpses would drown SC.

Mind you this assumes Chaos refuse to touch them…

17. Paramedic July 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm -      #117

@Chuckforest & Illkhan

Thank you, I now have a WAY better understanding of the whole game-mechanics issue and assure you it won’t happen again for the remainder of me being a BankGamblingr. Also, Chuck, that’s pretty interesting information about the WH40K and Alien team mamber. I like learning new things.

Chuck, I believe you when you say those things, I don’t believe you have any reason to lie to me about anything. But thank you for owning upto it and being a man about it offering to find those sources.

@ Sauro,

I have learned on FP that using Wiki’s is taboo, even in actuality wiki’s don’t mean much as anyone can go in to alter the information and no proof or source on anything is needed. However, Halopedia and Lexicanum do indeed have security measures and any falsified information is wiped from the database, StarCraft wiki does not. Any 3 year old that can type can make up information on the StarCraft wiki and the real life wikipedia. Lexicanum and Halopedia are the two most secure wiki’s on the web, and they are still widely not accepted. Am I right Chuck or did something change?

P.S. Sauro, dude I know it’s not hard, it’s mouse clicks. All of the canon SC material is in the books, cutscenes or as Chuck graciously informed me, where you don’t control the units. So, what is hard is sifting through all 9 novels in search of information. I have read them all and I still can’t remember where everything is. lol

@Chuck, give me a little bit, I will try to find some information to make this debate fun again. I can’t currently I have a party to attend, but I will be back on later.

18. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm -      #118

@Paramedic Sounds about right, also the Mass Effect wiki is pretty good to as it is taken from the Codex.
    I’ve got time to wait. :D

19. Sauroposeidon July 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm -      #119

“A wiki stating the same thing Paramedic is saying isn’t much help. IF IT DOESN’T GET USED OUTSIDE OF GAMEPLAY THEN WE CAN’T QUANTIFY IT.”

Don’t be daft, man! The importance of the wiki link was to show it’s not some random psychic ability or something like the aforementioned “Take 1 damage!” bit but an actual piece of equipment.That’s the crucial element here.

@ Para

It’s all fine and well if you want to do that, but my post still stands. If the question of how the gun operates and if Titans have shown EMP protection are answered, then the issue with Lockdown is solved. It was that simple.

20. Paramedic July 15, 2011 at 5:54 pm -      #120

Ok cool, I will get you the info ASAP. Sometime late tonight early into tomorrow morning. Good to know about the ME wiki.

21. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm -      #121

@Sauro I know it is equipment but we don’t know anything about it, how it works, or anything, therefore it can’t be used. At least until something is found, hopefully something will when Paramedic finds it.

22. FisherKing July 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm -      #122

Arrrugh! WHy is it when I stop posting on BankGambling do debates start back up again. It’s like I’m cursed with horrible timing but I digress.

So It look like the argument here is people are trying to argue that the Starcraft universe would not get its shit slapped. Well I have to deny that sentiment as completely fucking false. In every single field of battle the Starcraft races are going to be outperformed by the 40k races. For the sake of ease I’ll just address the most recent points that I disagree with.

@itcheyness

“Now if we threw SC as a unified group into the 40K galaxy they have a better chance since everyone is still fighting everyone else so they could go unnoticed for a while and build up their forces.”

That depends on where they’re positioned. If a tyranid hive fleet is approaching them, an ork was is headed in their direction, and imperial crusade decides to reclaim the planets they’re on they’re pretty much fucked. Even if none of those happen the only way they could build up their forces is by taking other planets and chances are those are occupied so the chances of them, or taking it without losing just about most of their forces, is minimal. And if they did somehow find a lightly defended world it would for all probability be an imperial world in which case they should be able to expect immediate and fiery vengeance, so I don’t see a scenario where they can survive for any extreme length of time in the 40k universe.

@Sauroposeidon

@Galorian

“The absolute minimum kinetic energy calculation for a C-14 spike places it at above 160 kJ, with higher end calcs placing it well above 600 kJ. With 30 RPS, 250-500 rounds per clip, near 100% accuracy at a range of several km and a maximum range of several dozen km the C-14 is one scary ass assault rifle. For reference, 160-660 kJ is 8-40 times the kinetic energy of a 50cal Barret round. With slightly over half the diameter of a 50cal round this gives a C-14 spike insane penetration qualities.”

Yeah I’m calling BS on that one. I’m pretty sure we already went over this in another thread, but I see you have wasted no time in posting unverified wank. Your minimum and high end calcs are made up as they’re are no examples of rifles doing anything near that amount of energy output.

23. Paramedic July 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm -      #123

@ Fisherking,

LoL man did we go over the C14 stats, crazy thread I remember it too.

Everyone knows I am usually on the side of StarCraft, however the way their economies work highly limits them. No Imperial world thus far has ever shown signs of mineral or Vespene gas making raids against 40K races extremely expensive both in terms of cost, resources and manpower.

Another limitation I’ve found. The Terran, Zerg, and Protoss all got basically played and until Kerrigan mustered up some backbone, defeated by the UED. So, Earth alone has the ability to bring the Koprulu sector to it’s knees. Strangely enough UED soldiers are nothing like Terran soldiers, they used the same wireframing in the game to identify still there are only three races. The marine suits that the UED built up had lower stats than a Spartan and the majority of soldiers of the UED are basically, everyday soldiers. Regular rifles and equipment… basically a single planet version of the UNSC with less than half the numbers of the UNSC… and an expeditionary force at that. So… lemme get this straight… Earth, whose population at the time was 26 billion people. Sent a fraction of that as an expeditionary force, and brought the entire Koprulu sector to it’s knees… is it just me or is something not making sense there? *brain overload*……*strange stats*…../facepalm

SO, does that mean the UNSC could whoop some terran ass then? (Not as serious a statement as I’ve made before, but if a war can be one solely on numbers, the UNSC may be weak in terms of 40K standards, but they can be formidable. UNSC at her top could flood the Dominion and overtake the Koprulu sector… that’s…. kinda sad…)

If you look at it like that, seriously and honestly if you put it like that, a small expeditionary force from Cadia could eradicate the Koprulu sector. There would be lives lost, but the SM’s needn’t worry themselves with this sector.

@Chuck, as far as I can tell from the research I’ve done, I have looked on Wikipedia, Liquipedia, I’ve skimmed all the books, I’ve googled, I’ve gone through the tabletop units and abilities, I’ve looked at several cutscenes from all three games, and looked at blizzard interviews as well as searched several websites and fansites and Blizzard herself, Lockdown has been retcon’d. Unless it returns in one of the StarCraft expansions, Ghosts aren’t able to use it anymore.

24. chuckforest July 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm -      #124

@Paramedic thank you that is very helpful.

And disheartening.

25. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 12:07 am -      #125

@Chuckforest

I am almost positive I know why it’s disheartening, but just to be sure, why do you say that it is?

26. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 12:17 am -      #126

Because there is now nothing to debate… :(

27. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 12:23 am -      #127

:-( … Damn… you’re right. I like debatin’ with you Chuck lol…. we gotta find something else to debate about. UNSC VS Imperium? Wouldn’t last long but it’d be fun lol

28. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 12:25 am -      #128

I mean, I could go all fanboy again and give you reasons to stomp again? lol

29. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 12:35 am -      #129

Another thing sort of disheartening, everyone that knows me knows I love StarCraft and will stand up for the franchise every chance I get, but as far as ‘tanking’ impaler rounds… negative. A few shots can bring a marine down. Raynor and Tychus aboard the Bocephus, Dominion flagship. Six or seven impaler rounds go cleanly through his suit bringing him down, there was almost no resistance at all made by the suit… at least that’s how it looked in the video. I emplore anyone, watch it.

30. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 12:39 am -      #130

Of course, that knowledge doesn’t make me like StarCraft any less. Just, from a very subjective point of view… the terrans would hold out against any scout party the Imperium brought, maybe. But there is no way in hell they would survive an Imperial Cadian, let along multiple and the SM…

/facepalm…

SC you have failed me….

31. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 12:49 am -      #131

Well if we look at a purely damage standpoint then the impaler imparts roughly (according to Galarian’s calcs) 160-600 kilo-joules on a target. The lasPISTOL can, differing between vaporization which is the more likely upper end and boiling the fish at a lower end between 240 kilojoules and 2.14 megajoules, putting above the impaler for just the pistol. And the Astartes LAUGH at the lasgun, the bigger and badder version of this weapon. Although the impaler would shred the Guard.

32. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 12:51 am -      #132

These calcs are for the fish quote, here is the quote.

‘Calliden came out of his mad, erotic trance. He plunged his hand inside his black tunic, noticing for the first time that it was wet through. Out came the laspistol. Calliden was unused to wielding weapons. It took him a moment or two to wrap his fist around the handgrip, release the safety, aim, and press the firing stud.

Steam bubbled all along the length of the laser beam as it hissed through the water. But it failed to reach Aegelica. Instead, it struck a fish, nearly a yard long, which at that moment had glided between them. The fish exploded as the water in its body turned to steam. Fragments of flesh, skin, and bone drifted to the sea bed.’
    Eye of Terror, page 116

33. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:06 am -      #133

Eww, but nice lol. Yeah Impalers would shred the guard but… I am still a little distraught lol I know nothing on this thread is halo related, but people laugh at the UNSC for the most part (thank you bungie for the retcons *flick*) but the UNSC have many more worlds than the Dominion at almost five times the population, not even counting civilians. lol WTF

Battlecruiser are shown being destroyd by slowly gliding into each other, people say “O well a MAC round sucks” but does it really? If two battlecruisers can fly into themselves… a 32 ton molten tungsten round fired at half the speed of light (MAC round) then those BC’s are screwed…

SC… O SC why have u failed me (lol)

Seriously tho…

epic fail…

34. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 1:11 am -      #134

@Paramedic I have heard things as ludicrous as Battlecruisers throwing around giga/teratons, this made me lol. And while I am unsure about pre-retcon UNSC, (depends on the time period) the post-retcon ones would get wafflestomped by SC.

35. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:15 am -      #135

@Chuck are you sure though? I am also unsure about pre-retcon… I have heard about the giga/teratons as well, if that is true than the Zerg and Protoss would’ve been OMFG stomped by the fleet. Also, SC can never leave it’s universe. Minerals and Vespene are listed in books, not just game mechanics. THE UNSC would be free to rome about, as would the Imperium and such. Without a solid inflow of resources, terran military would be crippled. I think if it came down the UNSC VS SC, the UNSC would pull the ole, Minuteman VS Redcoats deal.

You’re thoughts and input is very much welcome Chuck.

36. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 1:18 am -      #136

@Paramedic Why thank you good sir.

The reason I feel that UNSC would lose is because it is currently lacking in ships, resources, people, and pretty much everything, which would allow the SC side to roll up and crush them.

Pre-retcon is where it gets tricky.

37. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:20 am -      #137

What all exactly got retcon’d from the UNSC?

38. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 1:24 am -      #138

Mostly the power of MAC rounds, which in turn lowers the yields of all the other weapons. Bungie was trying to play it off as “variable yield” MACs but that was laughed at.

Also look what I found…
    BankGambling.com/5123-unsc-vs-terran/

39. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:28 am -      #139

Yeah, I think I was a part of that debate actually, I forgot all about it.

Dominion stomps all other human sci-fi organizations, but gotta hand it to ‘em, they’d fight bravely but just can’t win against the Imperium giant.

40. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 1:31 am -      #140

@Paramedic Precisely.

41. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:32 am -      #141

@Chuck, Awesome! :-)

Check out post #314 that was one of my finer posts lol

42. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:36 am -      #142

I also give mad props to the Imperium though, I’ve read up on some of the things they have to fight, if you aint the best, you die like the rest.

43. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 1:38 am -      #143

@Paramedic Wow, that rivalled my quote spam posts in length. (claps)

Also look at post 326 on why the SM wins, very apt assessment.

44. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:45 am -      #144

@Chuck, Daaaaaamn lol

Well, it’s like the poster said, “God Emperor of Man, 500 trillion screaming fanatics can’t all be wrong.” lmao

45. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 1:50 am -      #145

@Chuck, what is your take on a Spartan vs a terran marine. Be honest.

46. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 1:59 am -      #146

Terran marine tears him a new asshole, at range.

47. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 2:08 am -      #147

@Chuck, hell yeah lol. I DL’d that new Arcade trial of Space Marine. It’s decent. Using a heavy bolter to own some Orkz lol, but I don’t know jack about WH40K so I went on looks. There was a guy holding a sword and a little bolter pistol, and a guy that had a huge mechanical arm on his back.

48. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 2:22 am -      #148

I agree, yet I must also add, a punch form General warfield made a 3.5 thousand lb Hydralisk fly off of him, is a marine lands a good hit on a spartan… =dundee.

49. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 2:22 am -      #149

You mean Kill Team? Yeah it’s pretty cool, the heavy bolter guy is a Devastator marine, the guy with a huge jetpack is the Sternguard, there is the Librarian and the Techmarine with the giant arm. Pretty cool, and they finally put an accurate bolt shell!

50. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 2:24 am -      #150

For teh lolz I recommend watching this, pretty cool Spartan stuff.

51. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 2:29 am -      #151

Yeah dude, I never truly understood “40mm RPG”- YEAH OK W/E DUDE

Their right tho! It really is lol, it has helped me invision all of it so much better now lol. So far my favorite is the tech marine, they can build turantula auto turrets.

52. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 2:32 am -      #152

lol nice video, but WHY did the elites sounds like highschoolers on helium?

53. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 2:34 am -      #153

Low budget? It would be better if they just didn’t say anything.

54. Paramedic July 16, 2011 at 2:42 am -      #154

/facepalm

I completely agree. O.o’

Other than that it was cool. Spartans are some BAMF’s. The UNSC originally had to cut the program b/c it was too expensive and what they were hoping for wasn’t turning out, the Spartans in HALO are in all terms ‘losers’ compared to what the UNSC hoped.

It’s fun to think though, the Spartan program may have lead to the Space Marine program 30k+ years in the future lol. I know probly not, but it’s fun to toy with idea’s like that in my opinion.

55. chuckforest July 16, 2011 at 2:52 am -      #155

It could still happen. They have 30,000+ years left. Although it doesn’t coincide wit hthe Event Horizon discovering Warp Travel…

56. Sauroposeidon July 16, 2011 at 8:15 am -      #156

@ Fisherking

“The emp debate only matters if the vehicles in question are susceptible to emp devices, meaning unless you, or anyone else pushing this argument, have some sort of proof that the vehicle in question is susceptible to emp devices. There is no proof that a titan would be affected by an emp device because not only are they Extremely large to the point where it would require a vast amount of energy to course through such a vehicle but also void shields absorb all manner of matter and energy. Its not a far-fetched idea to assume that a void shield would also negate electromagnetic pulses along with the myriad of other deadly energy they absorb/dissipate. Also there is no certainty that it even has devices that are susceptible to an electromagnetic pulse such as circuity. Forsooth, with most titans being shown to be operated by human brains and the like that such an attack would not cripple or damage a titan, or any other large vehicle, in any noticeable way.”

You should probably be directing this at Para if he wants to push the lockdown argument. I was just getting angry at how quickly the debate collapsed in to “Game mechanics don’t count! Yes they do! No they don’t!”.. they get out of it rather quickly though so I shut the hell up. I don’t intend to argue for or against anything from here on out.

57. Hermit July 16, 2011 at 9:09 am -      #157

I’m going with what I already know of the two factions.

Both teams as I recall are actually on par with each other in terms of technology, so no surprise there.

What the Starcraft side does lack however, is numbers, especially against the Tyranids.

Of course we still do not know how many worlds the UED actually settled in, and, given that they were able to keep an eye on the Terrans since their landing, their actual technological status.

The Protoss as well, if they decided they all want to combine into one powerful archon.

As for the Zerg, um…an army of Kerrigans?

The Warhammer gods of course, is going to be a HUGE problem, one I think cannot be completely solved by the Xel’Naga.

58. chuckforest July 24, 2011 at 1:21 am -      #158

40k assrapes.

59. PeteSkizzle October 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm -      #159

Alright, Starcraft is in the 2500s. WH40K is in the 40,000s. Both are almost on par in terms of tech. Now image: StarCraft 40,000 vs Warhammer 40,000. Curbstomp StarCraft.

60. PeteSkizzle October 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm -      #160

*Now picture, not image.

61. brujahonly March 28, 2013 at 10:58 am -      #161

Based on the epic level; let’s compare heroes:

Raynor vs … no we can’t. We just can’t compare cowboys against residents of Olympos.

On one hand we have a gauss rifle of a terran marine. On the other we have death spinner of a warp spider.

On one hand we have psy storm of Tessadar which does area damage.
    On the other we have the mere gaze of Mephiston, which leaves the enemies crying in anguish and madness in it’s wake.

We have poison spikes of a hydralisk, which are spiky and poisonous, obviously.
    Than we have sciritae, combat division of Mechanicum, who can slice, dice, drill, shoot, blast, poison, punch, kick, garrote, snipe, bite, melt, vaporize and frighten the enemy.

We have yamato gun and we have torpedo lances.

We have elegant protoss walker units and we have diseased and berserked chaos dreadnaughts.

We have Terran THOR and we have scout titans.

And yes, we have Raynor that ve have Ciaphas Cain.

Math.